Worried about letting them outside

jannt86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have 2 kittens who are 13 weeks old and I have a few questions about letting them outside. Eventually I will start letting them outside during the day. I was just wondering when people think is the best time to do this? I have had different advice from people; anything from any time after neutering to about 8 months to not at all. Please note I'm really keen to let them out eventually and wheras I appreciate the dangers of allowing a cat out I don't personally feel that it is not in their best interest to keep them housebound. I also wondered if anyone had any tips for training kitties to come in on command when people do let them out. Finally, I've noticed a neighbour cat prowling round our garden. She clearly sees our garden as her territory and I'm worried for our kittens as they're so good natured. Has anybody got any tips for how best to avoid conflict with this cat? Any help on any of the queries above would be greatly appreciated. PS please try not to be too hard on me for wanting to let them out. I know guidance in America is don't but I just don't personally think it's in a cats nature to stay indoors. I am doing what I think is in their best interest and just want help doing it in the best way possible X

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should not go outside until they are spayed / neutered, fully vaccinated, and closer to a year old. They are just not prepared to handle being outdoors before then. I would also recommend that you train them to walk on leashes instead of letting them out alone. There are so many dangers otherwise. The life expectancy is something like ten years shorter for outdoor cats.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I believe that indoor cats can live full and happy lives. On average cats allowed to go outdoors don't make it to be five years old where as indoor cats live to be 18-20 years old. I have had it both ways. I had cats as a kid that went out. A few barely made it to a year old. One lived to be 17 years old. It is a gamble, and one that I won't make with my current cats. 

You don't want to let them out until they have shots and are neutered of course. Beyond that I would definitely recommend waiting until they get closer to adult size, so at least 8 or 9 months. 

My cats are indoor only, but they do go out on a leash and harness. They do very well with this and get to have the fun of the outdoors with much less of the risk. They're happy going out like this.

Other options would be to make some kind of an outdoor enclosure that would keep them outdoors in a safe way. 

Ultimately, it is up to you as to whether you let out. How is your neighborhood in terms of cars and dogs? Also the other cat wandering around could pose a danger to these kittens. Sometimes cats will fight over territory. Fighting always makes it so that cats can be exposed to diseases like FIV among others. This is less likely if all cats are spayed and neutered but definitely a possibility you have to be aware of.

Last edited:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are 9 months old. One was always trying to run out the door, and i felt bad, so i let them out only when i am outside. It's best to keep them indoors until they are older so they have a bit of fear when going outdoors. We have high walls, so it wouldn't be easy for them to get out, and i watch them. My husband is building a cat run down the side of the house, then they can go out whenever they want. I am against letting cats out at night. They should be locked inside to keep them safe, and to stop them being pests in other peoples gardens.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Other options would be to make some kind of an outdoor enclosure that would keep them outdoors in a safe way. 

Ultimately, it is up to you as to whether you let out. How is your neighborhood in terms of cars and dogs? Also the other cat wandering around could pose a danger to these kittens. Sometimes cats will fight over territory. Fighting always makes it so that cats can be exposed to diseases like FIV among others. This is less likely if all cats are spayed and neutered but definitely a possibility you have to be aware of.
I agree completely that keeping them indoors at all times is the best choice if you want to make sure of their safety 24-7.  I got my cat from a Rescue right after Christmas this past year.  I fully intended her to be strictly an indoor cat.  I fed ferals at the time in my backyard.  Katy would jump up on her cat tree and watch them as they came to feed on the back patio twice daily.  It got to a point that she just HAD to be out side.  I open the door a crack, to let myself out to feed the ferals, and Katy would always manage to dart out when that door was open.  I bought a harness and let her outside in the back yard with the harness on, but alas, she would manage to squirm out of it no matter what harness I had on her SECURELY!.  I was told at the Rescue that she was a feral and gave birth to some kittens, whomever took her and her kittens in surrendered the mom, Katy to the Rescue when the kittens were weaned.  I do not know whether the kittens were surrendered too, but my point is, Kay was never happy being inside only, to my sadness.   She would yeowl and go crazy if I would not let her out, so I am stuck. I will say though that of course she is fully vaccinated and protected by Advantage Multi from fleas and parasites, but I cannot keep her safe from harm when she is outside.  I would be a much happier pet owner if when I came home from work, I knew my cat was safe and sound inside the house waiting for me.  Please realize when they are outside, they are on their own.  

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as most caring people would never leave a toddler outside unattended, cat experts and those who truly care about their cats' wellness and wellbeing keep their cats indoors only.  It is more than possible for cats to live healthy, happy, long lives indoors, with plenty of positive stimuli including cat furniture and scratching pads/posts, cat perches in windows, a variety of interactive and self-play toys, and most important of all, lots of interaction with their human family members (and other cats, preferably, as well, since cats are actually very social beings, for the most part).  Building a "catio" can bridge the gap between indoor/outdoor and keep cats safe; cat-specific harness and leash can be helpful if cats absolutely must tour the great outdoors.  But I would NEVER, EVER, leave any cat outdoors unattended, anywhere on earth.  For all of the obvious reasons.

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have several cats. The second cat was an outside cat for a long time( because I had two dogs in the house).  She was fine for a long time and stayed around the yard and drive.  One day she disappeared after being an outside cat for 7 or 8 years and when she came home she had a slash across her stomach.  The vet saved her and she is now an inside cat with other cats. 

My very first cat was called "Shen Fu" and was all black.  He was a stray cat and used to run out the door.  On New Years Eve he ran out the door and was run over by a car.  He died in the house.  Since, that point all of my cats have been indoor cats.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add, the cat that I did have that lived to be 17 and went out did have several incidents where she was injured. We had to take her to the vet for stitches and antibiotics. No idea how she got hurt. 

There are some cats that cannot be kept inside. That cat was an example. In this case I suggest outdoor enclosures if at all possible. Sometimes you just have to take the risk though. 

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take Bo and Minno out when very small (they never had a cat mom just me) they followed me through the grass like baby ducks do...bonded created a whistle sound, whistled for them so they knew it was Me, only did this a few times to enjoy the sun/grass then kept indoors unless supervised near me or out on a harness leash, same after shots/fixing.  One time when not leashed Bo (tiny kitten) dashed to catch a leaf blowing in the wind on gravel shoulder 
a big mac truck decided to whip by on residential street!  Bo was oblivious to the truck wheels nothing happened but G that was close! another time raccon family were out and about, could have made a meal out of him, he stayed hidden til coast was clear then made a dash to get back home. They're non aggressive so I bought birds for them, or rescued some, they love watching them, also had dwarf hamsters they would watch those for hours or interact the more nature I had inside the happier the cats were...

Some Canadian cities are making it a mandatory Law to leash walk your cat or pay a fine if your cat is found roaming. After walking for so many years (just like dogs,) if ever free they just wait for me then we go for our walk they really don't like being outside by themselves.

Many of us prefer to keep them safely indoors, using harness for walks. It's easy to train them, all the help you need is on this site

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is safest to keep them indoors only. If you provide enough toys, climbing things, and interaction, they should be fine with that.

But if you're set on letting them out. . .wait until they're older. My mom has a cat who goes outside, that she raised from a tiny kitten, and she did it gradually. First, the kitty didn't get to go out at all until she was spayed and fully vaccinated. Then my mom would just let her come out on the deck while she let the dogs out, but make her come back in when the dog went in. Then she would let her stay out on the deck for a little while, but make her come in after 10 minutes or so. Then longer and longer times, and now she comes and goes freely. I think the gradual method is probably best.

Last edited:

antisockcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8yo cat was originally a neighbor's kitten. The neighbor left Winston and his sister outside full time at a very young age, and unfortunately his sister disappeared.

Years later, Winston spends more and more time indoors as he gets older. He is neutered but still gets into scraps, and it feels like I'm always cleaning one wound or checking on another.

We tried keeping him inside, but it was never meant to be. When I let him back out after two full weeks indoors, he was so happy just to feel the breeze and roll in the dirt that I knew he would never be a completely indoor cat.

On the other hand, I have a 3mo kitten who my sister found in a parking lot. She has lived inside since then, and only gone out on a leash to accustom her to car rides. She has no desire to go out by herself and will shy away from the outside doors.

I guess my point is that indoor-for-life cats can be happy indoors. Cats that have lived outside might not handle it as well. If your kittens haven't been outside yet, please consider that letting them out will introduce them to a whole new world. If you later have a bad scare or change your mind and decide to bring them back in for good, in all likelihood your cats will fight against you every step of the way.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 1st cat (not counting cats I had when growing up).  She was a feral kitten. Put her a box on the back porch, food, water.  If she stays, she stays....if she leaves, she leaves.  It was as simple as that.

She stayed outside, came and went as she pleased.  At 6 years, we started letting her in the house.

We moved and kept her in the new house garage, thinking everything outside would confuse her and she might run off.  (it was no longer simple, we cared).
Few months of that and we began leaving the back door to the garage open.

She never goes beyond a few hundred feet of the house.  The garage is hers and she knows it, but, she checks out the great outdoors several times a day...and we don't worry about her.

She's now 15.

The 2 year old lives in a screened in back porch unless we are home.  He's inside at night, but, when we get home, we let him outside to play and "be a cat".
When he was a kitten, he climbed every tree that was in front of him (and I mean EVERY tree and he wasn't even 8 weeks old). It wasn't long and he was wandered off quite far.  Sometimes it was difficult to find him before dark.  Because, about dark....he would be "cat" and would be hunting.  The closer to dark it got, the further away he got.
Now, at 2 years old?  He has his routine/territory I guess?  Seldom goes beyond that. (about a 200 yard radius behind the house).  BUT, if we wait too long to round him up, and it starts getting dark?  He will follow his nose and go further.  We just have to find him before it gets dark.

He stays in that screened in porch while we are working.   At NIGHT, he gets to come inside.

Prior to him coming inside at night...Letting him roam outside in the evenings---vs----leaving him on the porch?  He's a COMPLETELY different cat.

If we let him outside, then inside at dark?  He's well mannered, sweet, cuddly, and just a really good baby.
If we don't let him roam, and then let him inside?  He will scratch furniture, run away, hide, attack, claw, bite, and just a general all round little terror.

Last edited:

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.

Just saw this post. I totally agree with what everyone has said about letting kittens out alone. They are much too young to be out alone. Especially with a grown cat prowling around the house. I quickly learned how territorial cats were, and since that grown cat thinks your yard is her territory, she could pose a threat to your kittens. I trained my cats to walk on a harness and leash at a young age, and so can you. The sooner the better. And building a cat enclosure is an Excellent idea. That way they could go out on their own and not get hurt. And I too never allow my cats to wander the neighborhood at night. It's just too risky. Hope all this information has helped. Everyone gave some really good advice!
Hugs! Nancy

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats have never set foot on the actual ground.  Thirteen once shot out the door to my pool but I quickly caught her.  Even then she wasn't on the grass, only the tile.  

I think cats are just naturally curious and don't long to go outside anymore than they long to go into a room with a closed door.  In other words, I don't think they have some sort of biological imperative to be out of doors that we as responsible cat owners are impeding by keeping them inside.  

The studies are absolutely legion:  cats live much longer lives when they are kept inside.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am part of the indoor-only crowd. However, I do allow my two house cats to go outside but I follow them around. They are not allowed off the property or out of my sight and not allowed out anywhere near dusk. Around dusk the raccoons come out in my neighborhood and I don't want my cats running into them. My previous cats Kane and Zaren lived in an apartment on the sixth floor so they only went outside with me on the building property and the park attached. When I got Kane and Zaren I would have considered letting them outside had I not lived in the apartment.

My parents had someone do something to one of their cats about 10 years ago and ever since I am a firm believer of indoor-only. My parents had to get their cat euthanized and it was very hard on them. And after reading cats live a longer healthier life inside it made me indoor-only even more.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for being a " good mom" and researching letting your two babies outside. I would suggest you take in account the pros and cons by all these nice cat moms here and do additional research. I have had inside and outside cats and I agree with others on here. [emoji]128008[/emoji]Outside cats life span are about 10-15 yrs shorter than inside only. Cons that I'm aware of are-1. Cars of course.Some horrid people actually will try to hit cats in the road.[emoji]128666[/emoji]
2. Dogs- too many people have these dogs these days from a explosion of breeding for the puppies to sell and culling the unwanted ones by releasing them. I don't want to talk about what they do to small prey.You can't blame the breed but you can be aware.[emoji]128021[/emoji]
3. Poisons- intentional as well as natural poisons like plants. Also anti- freeze puddles from overflowed radiators.Some folks get angry enough at a cat that sits on their precious car they go as far as to poison or trap and turn in at aspca or far away.[emoji]128299[/emoji][emoji]127807[/emoji][emoji]127795[/emoji] [emoji]127806[/emoji]
4. Diseases & injuries - we all know about putting our precious kitties to sleep that contract a incurable virus or get their belly torn open on a fence.[emoji]128371[/emoji]
5 just not coming home.This one worries me more than anything because I don't know if they are trapped in someone's garage, injured and can't get home.Some actually take a snooze under the hood and if they survive the ride in the car motor they may by accident ,be taken far across town and jump off in unfamiliar surroundings.[emoji]128663[/emoji]
5 predators- not dogs but owls,or Eagles,Hawks. Don't laugh. My neighbor cat was taken but the neighbor was near and was able to help.
6. Last but certainly not least, weather.Cat as well dogs can become frightened and disoriented by severe weather. They will often panic at the sound of loud thunder and lightening and will bolt seeking safety and often they become lost. Rain washes familiar smell away which make it that much more difficult for them.[emoji]127785[/emoji][emoji]9889[/emoji]️[emoji]9748[/emoji]️ [emoji]127786[/emoji]) Fireworks have the same results. I am very cautious mine don't get out on Halloween either for black cats don't fare well as it is on normal days.[emoji]127881[/emoji][emoji]9760[/emoji]
You might say no way,can't happen to me. Never say never.Think I worry too much over what can happen to my kitties? You'd be right.I just can't take it when something happens so I keep them inside and have almost nil vet bills,clean safe and warm kitties[emoji]128571[/emoji] [emoji]127868[/emoji]who are happy and safe and I never have to spend all nite worrying where are they!
You are an excellent owner for getting the info from actual cat folks so take from here all the info and make the right choice for your cats.[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Vader1013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't forget:
Fleas, tick Bourne diseases, fights with other cats, FELV, FIV, traps set by neighbors who do not have an affinity for you cat spraying and pooping all over their property, coyotes, cars...it goes on and on. Too many cat parents think it's "cruel" to keep a cat inside. I ask you-- it it kind to let them out and risk death, injury, or serious life-threatening illnesses?

Continue to let your cat out to roam and it's not a matter of if something bad will happen, but when.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget:
Fleas, tick Bourne diseases, fights with other cats, FELV, FIV, traps set by neighbors who do not have an affinity for you cat spraying and pooping all over their property, coyotes, cars...it goes on and on. Too many cat parents think it's "cruel" to keep a cat inside. I ask you-- it it kind to let them out and risk death, injury, or serious life-threatening illnesses?

Continue to let your cat out to roam and it's not a matter of if something bad will happen, but when.
Couldn't agree with you more, and am grateful for your putting it so eloquently. I tend to get pretty rant-y when I discuss the subject because I have lost several beloved feline family members to the dangers of the outdoors when my folks did not know better and my ex would not let me bring some inside. Needless to say, the ex is absolutely "EXed" and no one will ever prohibit me from keeping my beloved feline family members indoors-only again.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have pretty low tolerance for cats crapping and pissing in my yard and people not cleaning it up its every bit as gross and rude as letting your dog crap and not picking it up. I will spray these cats with the garden hose on jet I also had a device called scarecrow it is a sprinkler with a motion sensor that activates if a cat walks in front of it.