Worried About Letting My 1 Year Old Siamese Cat Go Outside By Herself

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have 2 Siamese cats (One-year-old and 8-months-old). Since I have been keeping them indoors for one year (only going out to the house garden) I am now afraid to let them out by themselves. Will they be capable enough to not get hit by a car or not to get bitten by a snake? (They are very loving creatures and affectionate to everyone and I don't know if they can smell danger)
I have to change house now, so I am thinking to let them go out as they wish, but I am worried sick and I don't know what to do. Could you please give me some advice? This is the first time I take care of pets and I don't know how to act.
Kozeta

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have chosen not to allow my kitties outdoors. Neither of them have had access to the outdoors (Louie may have but it would have been when he was 3-4 weeks of age). They have toys, climbing trees, scratching posts, the dogs, us and windows to see out and don’t have to contend with coyotes, dogs, cars, feral cats, diseased rodents, etc. I know this is a choice everyone makes but my choice is to provide the most enriched life I can for my indoor only kitties.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they won't know abaout cars, evil people, nor will they be able to escape from packs of dogs or wild animals. Hawks and other birds of prey can and will take cats. Outside they will also be likely to catch diseases - FIV comes from the deep bite of another cat, the sort of bite that occurs in fights. Don't think they won't fight, they will. Since they've been fixed - right they are spayed and nurtured aren't they? = other cats will still try to take over their territory.

Worse, if they are sweet and friendly evil people will find it easy to capture them and take them away. Not all evil people want to sell cats, though some sell them to labs, some want to do worse.

There is nothing wrong with keeping your cats inside, safe and there for you. If you are worried about what if the house catches fire, most cats will flee fire, hiding low on the floor and running out the first chance they get.

Life is dangerous, as you well know, we can do but what we can to protect our kitties. Don't let anyone tell you they will be unhappy if they don't go outside. It's just not true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your support and answers. I have been told by many people that it is a "crime" to keep them indoors and deprive them of their natural freedom and I guess I have been feeling a bit guilty to keep them inside. But I will do just that, train them to walk in a leash and build a cat kingdom inside the house :)
I guess I will feel less guilty to deprive them of the outside world than let them in the danger of wild animals and people.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Furballsmom said, "or train them to walk in a harness/leash, one at a time.' Don't try to take them both out at the same time. Even if you thing they'll enjoy each other's company, no. Whoever is walking will be into what's around them. Later they can compare what they saw.

I have never walked more than one cat at a time. I did try to walk two 50lb dogs at the same time. It was not good.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep them as indoor cats. There are far too many dangers outside for a cat. By all means you can continue with short supervised visits outside so they can romp and play in the grass, or like Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, build an outdoor enclosure for them, so they can be outside but safe, but if they are already used to being indoor cats, they don't have the developed "street smarts" to keep them safe, and even if they did, there is still NO guarantee that they would be safe.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When people try to tell you that you are 'denying' them. Just tell them that there is a difference between 'domestic' and 'domesticated'. Domestic cats never lived in the wild nor have a wild instinct. That would be a domesticated lion.
Cats do fine indoors and live a longer happier life than ones who go outside. Other than on a leash or catio of course.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your support and answers. I have been told by many people that it is a "crime" to keep them indoors and deprive them of their natural freedom and I guess I have been feeling a bit guilty to keep them inside. But I will do just that, train them to walk in a leash and build a cat kingdom inside the house :)
I guess I will feel less guilty to deprive them of the outside world than let them in the danger of wild animals and people.
This is a common attitude in some places (Great Britain springs to mind), but no, cats do not "need" the freedom of the outdoors. Jettison the guilt; it's coming from people who really have no idea what works well for cats.

My 13-year-old indoor-only kitty, Floppy, was turned into an indoor-outdoor kitty by house guests who believed that cats need to wander, and one day she didn't come home. She was almost certainly eaten by coyotes, and those house guests are no longer welcome in my home, ever!
When it comes time to get harnesses for them, look for a harness with wide straps; the standard harness made with narrow straps is ridiculously easy for a cat to slip out of just by backing up when you're holding the other end of the leash. Some people go for a walking jacket, (www.amazon.com/Escape-Harness-Adjustable-Walking-Jackets-x/dp/B077XZLHF4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1544549632&sr=8-9&keywords=cat+walking+jacket), but I haven't found this to be necessary.

YouTube has a lot of videos about how to build a catio; none of them will be specific to the layout of your house and yard, but they should provide you with a lot of tips and give you a few ideas.

Margret

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't let my Siamese outside. I have a 4 year old and a 9 month old. The breeder will no longer sell her cats too people who are going to let them out because too many were lost to car accidents :bawling2:.

We have a garden that they have ventured in a few times but really they have no interest in going outside unless I'm sat in the garden.

Siamese are social, smart and energetic creatures though. They need a lot of places to climb and hide, plenty of toys and most of all - company! I won't leave my two alone overnight as Siamese are prone to depression without the company of their human (or an understanding stand in!)

My two are absolutely fine indoors but they have lots of love, attention and playtime. Enjoy your Siamese - they are truly a wonderful (but high maintenance) breed :lol:.

Edit to add: I did try leash training with my older boy but everytime a collar or leash went on him he would collapse and refuse to move until it was taken off! I took that as a sign he wasn't interested :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL that collapsing thing, oh my, it's kind of funny to witness.

My boy did the same thing, and then moved to a "oh I'm dying I can't walk right this thing is making my life impossible aauugh"....

After a little while of this indoors I took him out to a fenced backyard (just in case things went haywire or sideways, the hope being it and he wouldn't get completely out of hand).

It still took a little while for him to become more accustomed to the feel of it, but now he walks along, upright and proud as normal, like a champ :)

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL that collapsing thing, oh my, it's kind of funny to witness.

My boy did the same thing, and then moved to a "oh I'm dying I can't walk right this thing is making my life impossible aauugh"....

After a little while of this indoors I took him out to a fenced backyard (just in case things went haywire or sideways).

It still took a little while for him to become more accustomed to the feel of it, but now he walks along, upright and proud as normal, like a champ :)
I tried this for months! Tried leaving it on him assuming he would start moving eventually but he's melodramatic and stubborn! So that was as far as got there :lol:.

He does the collapsing at the vet too. I have to assure the vet he is capable of walking and normally very spritely!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes people who tell you you're denying your cats by keeping them indoors due to the guilt they feel for letting their cats outside to be killed. By persuading you to risk your cats lives they justify what they did to their own cats. These people don't care about you or your cats, only their guilt. When they start talking about it, look them in the eye and ask them how long their cats lived outside. (Watch for lies.)

Your cats are lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise