Worried about leaving my 21-yr-old cat for five days

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going on a short trip, Monday to Friday, and leaving my 21-yr-old cat in my home, with a roommate who he knows and likes, as a petsitter. The roommate will come to feed him twice a day, and sit and visit with him. He also will call me on my cell, so my cat can hear my voice for a minute or two.

I've boarded him once, about ten years ago, for a few days. He wasn't happy, but he ate his food and used the box normally. Other than that, I've never left him. He is amazingly healthy, eats well, the vet doesn't actually believe he's 21, bloodwork etc. have been perfect. But he's so old... Should I be worried?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you say your roommate will come to feed him twice a day, and sit and visit with him - is your cat confined to your bedroom? Since he likes your roommate, it wouldn't seem to be a big issue leaving him, but it might be helpful if he would have more exposure to your roommate than just a couple of times a day.

Leave worn unwashed clothes of yours in the areas where your cat hangs out so he can smell your scent in your absence. You might also consider Zoom or some app where your cat could see you as well as hear you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since our cats sleep with us, whenever we're gone even just overnight, I line pillows up under the covers to be like bodies so they have something to snuggle up to. I also leave out worn clothes (inside out so they can really pick up the smell) on the bed as well as other places where they normally hang out. And I leave on some soft music for them or the TV. But we don't usually have someone still in the house, just have a neighbor come in twice a day to take care of them.

Since your old guy is in good health, I imagine he'll be fine, especially since you'll be talking to him occassionally. And I'm guessing if there are any issues your roommate can take him to your Vet, right?