worried about kitty as checked luggage!!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm moving back to the US from Japan, and on my domestic flight within Japan, (an hour flight) they can't take cats as carry-on so she'll have to travel down in the cargo bin. Which they say is temp controlled, but I'm still worried!! It'll be July, so hot.
My cat is young, and healthy, and generally laid back, but I'm still worried about something happening to her for those few hours!!
My Dad just told me a scary story about a cat who died in the cargo bin of a plane. Ah!
Any advice?
Should I give her food and water during the flight? Or just wait till after?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

If the flight doesn't have long layovers, the cat should be okay. The problem comes when the plane has to stop unexpectedly and if the luggage has to be unloaded and sit on the tarmac.

First of all, there is an article in the Care section of this forum called Traveling with Cats, it is a good read, written by someone who does nothing more than transport pets via air.

You need to get those clip on bowls for the carriers. Before the flight, fill the one up that hold water and stick it in the freezer. Take it out right before you leave and clip it to the carrier, it will stay frozen and melt by the time the kitty is thirsty.

Make sure you have an USDA approved shipping crate and the label is clearly shown on the carrier. Write your name and address on the crate in black indelible marker- be sure your cat has someway to identify her (I suggest a microchip)

Put a current photo of your cat on the top of the carrier sealed in a plastic bag and duct taped down (in case the cat gets out) God forbid-

Line the bottom of the carrier with puppy pads or disposable diapers

Spray the inside completely with Feliway Spray prior to putting the cat inside

Place the dry food in plastic bags on the top of the carrier and duct tape them down.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are very good suggestions. I would do everything Hissy said if I were in that position.

Good luck, please keep us updated!!!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat flew on the plane as cargo and made it fine. Of couse this was in the US.

daddycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our second cat Dubya (2nd picture) had to fly cargo during a domestic flight a few years ago and he was fine. Mad when we got to our destination, but otherwise fine. He didn't make the weight limit, unlike our smaller first cat Basia who got to ride in the cabin with us. They would have had to make a return trip with us, but our flight was the afternoon of September 11, 2001. We ended up having to drive back.

Anyway, check with the airline you're using about any requirements they have. Also, I've heard bad things about some of the tranquilizers used, apparently they can cause real problems when combined with altitude, cabin pressure, etc.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes airelines will let you take the cat in the cabin in a soft sided carrier as a carry on. You just have to keep it at your feet during take off and landing. Two of my cats came to me that way. The transporter brought them as a carry on!
I'd be concerned about flying from Japan to the US too. That's a long flight to be in cargo. Talk to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Sometimes airelines will let you take the cat in the cabin in a soft sided carrier as a carry on. You just have to keep it at your feet during take off and landing. Two of my cats came to me that way. The transporter brought them as a carry on!
I'd be concerned about flying from Japan to the US too. That's a long flight to be in cargo. Talk to them.
Thanks for the advice everyone! And just to clarify, for the long flight (Tokyo to NY) she'll be my carry-on. But before that, for the 1 hour domestic flight to get TO Tokyo, she has to be checked.

Also, the kennel that she has now is the petmate cabin kennel, which is plastic with a wire top, and one of the only ones I could find that'll fit under the seat. Will this be ok as checked luggage too? Or will I have to move her to another kennel for that leg?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be fine just double check with airline... Oh and I am sure it is in the article but write somewhere LIVE ANIMAL