Worried about how my cat will react if we bring a new kitten home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramwilliford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I adopted Duchess, age 2, around 1.5 years ago.  When we adopted her, the volunteers at the pound let us know that she is a very strong willed and sometimes violent cat.  This has turned out to be true, but it doesn't bother us, we rather enjoy her personality.  However, sometimes she is overly anxious and can loose hair or act strangely when new things are introduced (like travelling or moving to a new home).  The problem is, we really want to adopt a baby kitten.  We know we have a loving home, and we hate to think about a kitten that needs a good home living in the pound.  My question is, do you think that Duchess would ever adjust to the presence of  a new kitten and be happy?  Do you think there is a chance she might actually harm or kill the kitten?

Thanks in advance!

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's impossible for me to know the answer to this because I don't know what you mean by "violent" behavior. If she doesn't handle change well and is easily stressed then perhaps getting a kitten isn't the best choice for your household. For now, instead of thinking of adding a kitten, consider working on your cat's behavior to help her become more comfortable and less stressed. That way, you'll be in a better position to determine if she can handle the addition of another companion animal.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

www.catbehaviorassociates.com

Status
Not open for further replies.