Worms Or Full Belly?

RC79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170609_164817.jpg
20170609_164245.jpg
I took in a stray kitten last week. He's about 6 weeks old. We went to the vet on Monday because he had diarrhea all through last weekend. Vet gave me some anti-diarrhea medicine (3 doses, every 8 hrs) and dewormer, Panacur, once daily for 5 days. Within a few hours of the first dose, there was live and dead worms in his stool. By day 4 (yesterday), his stool was hardening. Aside from a live worm on his chest yesterday, I haven't seen any for 2 days. He's got quite the appetite and eats canned kitten wet food mixed with a few drops of kitten milk and a few dry food pieces. He also loves to play and run and will do it all day if I let him. He .ca scale the scratching post in 2 seconds flat. But, today, after his last dewormer treatment, I noticed his belly looks incredibly big. I can't tell if there's more worms in there or if he's just full from his food. Any ways to tell? He hasn't had any vaccines, as the vet wouldn't give any until the diarrhea stopped. He can go back in 10 days for those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RC79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170609_174014.jpg

Another picture of his belly while he's still.

RC79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. He finished the de-worming this morning.

I gave the vet a sample of stool on Monday however, and she said it came back negative. But I definitely saw worms later that night!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be that he is finally getting real nutrition from his food now that he is no longer sharing it with worms, and therefore he is plumping up.

Kittens tend to get a belly and then they grow some and elongate.

Also, he may need to poop.

Give it time. He looks like a normal, healthy kitten to me! :)

RC79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a picture from his bath this evening. Still no worms seen since Wednesday and hard/normal stool. He's still playing (a lot!) and eating well. But his belly just does not look normal to me. He's going to the vet in 10 days, so I'm hoping it can wait that long.
20170610_175153.jpg
20170610_175157.jpg

Crystale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what caused the bloated belly? My kitten has the same belly

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Crystale Crystale and welcome to TCS!
This is an old thread and you are unlikely to get an answer. Perhaps you could start a thread yourself?