Worms. Isolate cat? Or let it roam freely and have cat in your face?

Yuri2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 5 mo old cat I just adopted from the shelter is infested with worms. I found out after 72 hours with the kitty being ALL over the house, all over US, all over the kids snuggling and kissing and sleeping with their faces next to this cuddly vector. Spreading the "love" plus.
After reading all about the roundworms (" a neglected parasitic infection") and hookworms from info sites for worms in humans, I understand the worms that humans can get from animals is a very serious issue because they cause devastating debilitating disease, serious complications in organs, eyes (blindness), and brain damage. And these worms can be transmitted by contact and breathing in eggs, not just ingestion. (10,000 cases each year in the US.)
And what I keep reading and hearing is "just wash your hands" and everything will be "fine" because "the parasites are only in the feces and cats like being clean."
BUT, What about the feces that stays on his paws and fur, and then rubs on us, and everything else he contacts: floors, carpets, couches, anything!? What about the feces that he licks up from the anus and paws and puts in his mouth? And then licks his fur all over his body and head? It doesn't take a chunk or less of feces to get one worm egg in you ("don't eat cat feces" is another thing I read); it just takes ONE invisible egg.
The cat was given one dose of Profender on his skin and was told everything will be fine, just wash hands, "nothing to worry about."
How long before the worms are dead?
Do you isolate the cat until the full 3 treatments are administered and have killed all of the worms after several weeks? That's keeping it way from kids, carpets, floors, couches, beds, your face, your clothes and keeping it in one room with a few short visits for meds, feeding, complete litter change, and a few minutes of play/petting.
Or do you let it roam freely around the house prancing and pouncing and climbing and pretty much let his butt in your face and on your clothes?
What do you experienced cat owners do? What precautions do you take to prioritize the health of your human children and family?
(I feel bad for this cat being infested with worms, allowed to live with the foster and shelter with worms for about 3 months. But I don't want my kids and family to suffer any illnesses on account of the cat having zoonotic parasites because the shelter did not put the cat on dewormers and worm prevention. I've considered returning the cat. :( )

I've had 3 indoor/outdoor cats that hunted birds in my childhood; never had zoonotic parasites/ worms. Besides tapeworms in fleas, I've never even heard of all the parasites that cats carry.
And never thought a pet shelter would not treat poor kittens for worms and then place them in a home with kids.
What do I do?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I truly believe that as long as you have an adult clean up the litter box and do it in a "safe manner" (don't pick up the poop with your hands but still wash your hands afterwards) then everything should be just fine. I've never heard of any cat being quarantined due to roundworms or hookworms (or any other kind of worms). Here are a couple of threads from people who have dealt with them:

Roundworms

https://thecatsite.com/threads/paranoid-about-roundworms.399543/ (don't let the fact that someone accidentally attached a couple links about ringworm mislead you. It's definitely about roundworms.

Enjoy your new kitty :catrub:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The "devastating disabilities" occur when worm infestations are left untreated for months or years. There are a number of articles about symptoms and treatment (which is simple). My favorite one is this: Healthfully. Talk with your human doctor about possible cross-contamination. I seriously doubt it will happen, but should it, he can advise you about treatment. Again, it is simple. It certainly is not something to panic over. That said, having had children, I certainly get your concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yuri2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
talk to your vet and clean,clean and wasl loads and loads of laundry least thats what i would do did when i found out graycie had tape worms
Yes! There's lots of vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing, wiping, steaming, and hot water laundering for months to come. In addition to the worms, kitty has fleas and coccidia also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yuri2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly believe that as long as you have an adult clean up the litter box and do it in a "safe manner" (don't pick up the poop with your hands but still wash your hands afterwards) then everything should be just fine. I've never heard of any cat being quarantined due to roundworms or hookworms (or any other kind of worms). Here are a couple of threads from people who have dealt with them:

Roundworms

https://thecatsite.com/threads/paranoid-about-roundworms.399543/ (don't let the fact that someone accidentally attached a couple links about ringworm mislead you. It's definitely about roundworms.

Enjoy your new kitty :catrub:
Thanks! After another trip to the vet for a bath & flea treatment and medication for coccidia, he is now free to roam most of the house (minus bedrooms).