Worms in newborn kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see the good update! I would definitely keep the other cats away.
Mama kitty's behavior towards the baby is indicative that nursing is causing her pain or discomfort. Are her nipples looking sore? A thin coating of coconut oil might bring relief. However, it could be a deeper source of pain, perhaps impending mastitis or even a bit of tissue not properly expelled during the birthing process. I concur that a vet exam is in order; ask the vet's office about offering sedation - I know it ups the cost but maybe you could get donations to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! It didn’t occur to me that aggression could be due to pain so will get her to the vet.

I am glad to see the good update! I would definitely keep the other cats away.
Mama kitty's behavior towards the baby is indicative that nursing is causing her pain or discomfort. Are her nipples looking sore? A thin coating of coconut oil might bring relief. However, it could be a deeper source of pain, perhaps impending mastitis or even a bit of tissue not properly expelled during the birthing process. I concur that a vet exam is in order; ask the vet's office about offering sedation - I know it ups the cost but maybe you could get donations to help.
She doesn’t to be bothered by the nursing itself it’s just once the kitten gets close she attacks/then grooms but after a bit or when she’s distracted she doesn’t mind the nursing at all.
Her belly does seem to be still swollen, is it common that a bit of tissue stays in?
Will take her for a full checkup.

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Bit of an update. Took mama cat to the vet and they believe she might have a uterus infection and gave her painkiller and antibiotics. She seems much calmer today.

I noticed the kitten's belly is swollen a bit more visible from the sides and the vet said it could be worms but will have to wait till the kitten is three weeks old to deworm. Is there something to be done in the meantime to help with worms if the kitten does have them?

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps not for worms, had you tried with simethicone? If not, you can always try with this.
It wont help against worms as such, but it will help with the gases. Either caused by worms, or anything else...

The same simethicone as is sold for human babies, just a lower dosage. 2-3 drops a time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent that you got mom to the vet and she’s now on meds and feeling better.

The kitten may just have a fat tummy from eating well!

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heartbreaking update. The kitten passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

He was warmer than usual today, but nursed and was acting normally. He vomited (for the first time) and I thought it might’ve been due to me trying to burp him earlier to help with gas/bloating. After vomiting he didn’t seem different but he didn’t want to nurse. And then he deteriorated very quickly. It seemed like he was chocking or gasping for air like something was stuck. Rubbed his back and it seemed to help a bit as he was trying to gag but after a short while he stopped. Tried CPR and everything I couldn’t think of to revive him but it didn’t work and there wasn’t enough time to get him to the vet. I feel heartbroken. Didn’t expect this to happen at all especially since he’s been doing so well.
I don’t know what could’ve happened if it’s something he was born with or something that was caused by him vomiting. I wish I knew. The one thing that sticks out is every other day I’d find him drooling and have to clean/dry his face which I’ve never encountered in a kitten before.

The mom doesn’t seem to realize he’s dead she just grooms him and acts like nothings wrong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry! How unexpected and heartbreaking. It sounds like he may have had a genetic defect that finally caught up with him. You can let mom keep him for a bit. She’ll realize before too long that he is no longer alive. She may seem depressed for a few days while her milk dries up. Some of that is hormonal.

RIP sweet baby!:angel::rbheart: You were loved!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - such a tragic update 😭. Poor mama kitty - she is going to be heartbroken, just as you are. :alright:. The odds were stacked against them but you fought VALIANTLY, got them medical attention, did everything possible. IF the vet gives clearance, you could consider allowing mama kitty to foster another litter for a local rescue; a lot depends on her health - if the infections were from the faulty birthings or if contagion was a possibility.

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your heartfelt messages, I appreciate them greatly.

i kept the kitten with the mom for a couple of hours, she didn’t seem to react in anyway and then I took him. Now she’s actively searching for it :( and has no interest in eating which is especially problematic because that’s how she takes her antibiotic. Her aggression towards other cats is back as well. Feel so bad for her and will keep trying to get her to take her med.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling:. Poor, poor mama kitty .... Cats are usually unbelievably connected to their children. I have found that comfort grooming can sometimes help; pretty much anything that resembles mothering, let her be your "kitten" who needs snuggles. Call her to you frequently, offer gentle play as distraction & soothe her if she doesn't want play; use a warm damp cloth on her chin eyes & ears. She may benefit from warm compresses and possibly a shot from the vet to help dry her up (if she doesn't become a foster). Please keep us updated on how you both are doing

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this C catoncat We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready please start a thread in the kittens' memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum

It would be a good idea to get the mother spayed as soon as you can. It will prevent her going into heat again, help reduce her stress and should also make her less aggressive. Having other animals around when she's just lost a litter must be upsetting her right now.

Here's an article that might help.

Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles

If you need any other advice feel free to start another thread either here or in our Cat Health forum.

Rest in peace little ones, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.