Worms!! HELP!

shea8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m panicking! I was cleaning my cats litter box today (it’s a Breeze box so sometimes pieces of feces will fall down to the section the urine goes into) and I found so many worms! He has been excessively grooming his private area recently as well. Please help what kind of worms are these?! Warning gross photos.
D9012C1D-4F6E-4EAE-8C4F-9D488AE4098D.jpeg
5D6E81DC-19CE-4C40-8B6B-22F45CC4740C.jpeg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They look like segments of tapeworm to me.
Show it to the vet. If that's what they are they'll have a dewormer to fix it. If you don't use any kind of flea treatment it might be time to start as that's how they get them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shea8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They just didn’t look like any tape worm segment I’ve seen but I’m not sure. They’re like individual worms moving and eating his feces. They also weren’t as small as the tapeworms I’ve seen before. Could tapeworms be causing him to be licking his genitalia not his butt?

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah…those don’t really look like tapeworm segments to me. Not sure what they are but your vet should be able to identify.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was down in the urine tray, it's probably not intestinal worms. They're probably maggots---they can hatch after only 24 hours.

If he's licking his genitals he could be getting a urinary infection. So you could take him in for that and have the vet look at the pics. But I'm pretty sure those aren't intestinal worms.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it was down in the urine tray, it's probably not intestinal worms. They're probably maggots---they can hatch after only 24 hours.

If he's licking his genitals he could be getting a urinary infection. So you could take him in for that and have the vet look at the pics. But I'm pretty sure those aren't intestinal worms.
I’m seconding maggot.