Worming outside cats.

Bowman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear Cat lovers I have a particular problem.
I have a family of outside cats, they are gorgeous.
Recently I've noticed vomit with worms.
I cannot take them to the vet, some are not that friendly, well they are, but you know how it is.
The death toll out here in the middle of nowhere is sadly huge, nothing I can do. Racing cars, dogs, hunters, the need to create territory etc.
I want to put worming tablets in the food, they all eat together, several times a day.

Something is better than nothing. Would someone know how to measure a dose per cat size so I can safely add just a little to their food please?

I know, I know. Take them to the vet. Just not possible.

Thank you very much.
Best

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There aren't really any good OTC de-wormers specifically sold for cats. Can you get a bottle of pyrantel pamoate? It's usually sold for horses or humans, around $20 for a 16-oz bottle, which will last a long time. I got mine on Amazon.

We aren't allowed to give dosage instructions here but that's easily found online. It has a sweet taste that some cats like but I've never succeeded in hiding it in food, so you probably want to get some needle-less syringes too, so you can dose each cat individually.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you end up getting, make sure it is for tapeworms too. Almost all outside cats have them since they eat the fleas of rodents. It's usually not in over-the-counter medicines, just a few. Bayer on Amazon has several. I plan on feeding my cats separately for a few days beforehand, getting them used to tiny paper plates. Then put the correct amount in a tiny bit of lickable treat or Fancy Feast with extra gravy. Get them all ready beforehand and mark the plates on who gets what. You might have to carry everything out and do it right next to the feeding place on a folding table, or something makeshift. You'll have to watch to make sure someone doesn't get double-dosed. I only have six outside cats so mine are doable. anyone that refuses will have to be tried another day. Try to get a liquid, and if you can't a hammer to break up the pills on each plate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi peeps, thanks very much indeed. Noted about doses, thank you and fully understood.

I'll try is all I can do. I get attached to their personalities, its very sad. Saved a few though, one resides inside now, thinks I'm mama, act's like a dog lol! Some found homes.

Each morning the kittens, like gremlins try to muck up my covered deck, they do a pretty good job too.
They have boxes with polystyrene which keeps them warm, plus a halogen lamp with sensor.
Hey, what to do, we do our best.

Thanks again 👍

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Whatever you end up getting, make sure it is for tapeworms too. Almost all outside cats have them since they eat the fleas of rodents. It's usually not in over-the-counter medicines, just a few. Bayer on Amazon has several. I plan on feeding my cats separately for a few days beforehand, getting them used to tiny paper plates. Then put the correct amount in a tiny bit of lickable treat or Fancy Feast with extra gravy. Get them all ready beforehand and mark the plates on who gets what. You might have to carry everything out and do it right next to the feeding place on a folding table, or something makeshift. You'll have to watch to make sure someone doesn't get double-dosed. I only have six outside cats so mine are doable. anyone that refuses will have to be tried another day. Try to get a liquid, and if you can't a hammer to break up the pills on each plate.
Just want to say, this is very area-dependent.

Of all the cats we take in, maybe 1 in 20 or 25 have tapes (and I’m in south Texas, where fleas are a major problem year-round). Almost all have giardia, sometimes coccidia, and about half to 3/4 have roundworms or hookworms.

It would be ideal if B Bowman could get a fresh stool sample from one or two cats and send it in for a PCR with their vet to get a better idea of what parasites are likely prevalent in the area. If possible - obviously this is more difficult with outside cats.

Pyrantel Pamoate is a great place to at least start, though, at least for roundworms and hookworms. Any other parasites outside those two would probably benefit from a PCR, if feasible (it never hurts to treat for tapes, but could get relatively expensive for multiple cats, especially if they don’t even need it).

Also, B Bowman - if kitty is vomiting up worms, it means the infection is quite severe (likely roundworm, so Pyrantel should take care of it). I would do three rounds of treatment, 2-3 weeks apart to better ensure the infection is truly cleared.

For maintenance - and if it’s not too difficult with your cats - deworming them every 3-6 months will help keep infections from becoming this severe in the future!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild
Thank you and others too. Making notes later and try to get what I need together.
This will be tough. I've sealed off the area with just a makeshift catflap, door for me of course.

When dogs invade, they do often from the so called Shepherd, they hear something. Rather than stay put where they are completely safe, they scatter out and run.
Same with me on occasion too. Like I said, tough.

Thank you very much one and all for the kind suggestions.
Please stay safe and well.
👍