Worming ferals

swagman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure this has been asked thousands of times. I I did search and can't find the answer I am looking for.
I have a few ferals I am feeding and caring for - one of them must have worms - I cant feed her enough but I can't inspect her poop to confirm.
I can't get within 6 feet of her and if I put any wormer meds in food she wont eat it. How can I treat her?
thank you. It is Swag's mother, for anyone that knows me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have used Homeopet worm clear with some success. One of mine passed a huge load of hook worms after getting a few doses (6-12 worms per stool, for weeks!) I've heard others say it did nothing. It is said to be tasteless and odorless and easily mixed into food. I have never had a problem getting anyone to eat it. YMMV but it might be worth a try if she's avoiding the wormer meds. I found it locally in a pet store, as well as on Chewy and it's relatively inexpensive.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am watching this thread too, I have been trying to worm my ferals too with no success. They seem to know every time I put it into food. I'll keep trying and come back if I am successful!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used the Homeopet with my feral boys. I would dose for 14-21 days. I just put it in their wet food. I never was able to get them to take Drontal as the taste is just awful and the pill is so big. I did use a liquid one time that also worked and the taste was ok. I think it was Nemex or Nemex 2. It was for dogs, but I was able to find the dosage for cats.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard from others that the cats will end up eating food with meds inside when they get hungry enough..

However u do run the risk of them not coming back because they went looking for food elsewhere. I guess it depends on how dependant they are on you for daily meals

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
read up on "diatomaceous earth" farmers use it for pigs and chickens, it's a kind of clay powder from ancient tiny shellfish. I give it to my ferals mixed in wet food, probably everyone knows about this already

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swagman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks ipappy and everyone. Just ordered homeopet wrm clear and I will report back the results.

swagman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the Homeopet wrm clear and she has eaten every bit of her food with the dosage 2 days in a row. The instructions say 14 days of treatment so I'll keep at it. I dont know where she does her business so I won't really know I guess, just trying to get her as healthy as possible with winter coming. Is there anything similar for fleas? (no taste oral) Swag did not have a single flea or tic on her but one cat, GG, scratches incessantly. thanks all

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got the Homeopet wrm clear and she has eaten every bit of her food with the dosage 2 days in a row. The instructions say 14 days of treatment so I'll keep at it. I dont know where she does her business so I won't really know I guess, just trying to get her as healthy as possible with winter coming. Is there anything similar for fleas? (no taste oral) Swag did not have a single flea or tic on her but one cat, GG, scratches incessantly. thanks all
I had gotten some oral drops (no taste, no odor) for one of my dogs that didn't tolerate flea treatments well, but this was a lot of years ago and I can't find anything about it online from what I remember about it. It worked for him, but it was a 50/50 shot with the others. If I remember, I'll pass the info along.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the use of diatomaceous earth mixed in food for internal parasites (apparently tasteless, but does make foods paste-y) but it also can be dusted all over their bedding for fleas -- IF you know where they sleep (which I typically don't know, with ferals, despite all the nice houses I put out there!).

With a current feral, I crushed a Drontal pill in smelly, wet tunafish, and he lapped it up.

For fleas, Capstar for cats is supposed to work, but I have not personally used it - looking forward to hearing what others think of it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When i take my ferals in to be spayed my vet always give capstar. No ill effects. I guess he doesnt want an infestation in his clinic.
I'm leery of some of the newer flea/tick stuff on the market, but I've used capstar before and never had an issue. And yes, I'm sure the vet is just trying to keep the spread down, mine got fleas back in June and I'm still diligently combing and finding a few :(

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fyi I have used edible glue that you can get from Hobby Lobby or other hobby stores
and cut a treat in half and glued flea treatment in there, I used Credelio recently as I have a feral
that I cannot give the flea drops to. since they gobble treats, I gave her a treat without it and then gave her the treat with the pill in it
and she ate it. it takes patients to cut the treat and glue, you will go through a few treats to get a good one
I used the temptations and scraped out the soft part.
but you may find a treat that works better, I never had success with pill pockets.
I'm sure there are people against Credelio but you have to get creative when you can't do flea drops
I can't remember but I might have cut the credelio in half and did 2 treats

swagman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the use of diatomaceous earth mixed in food for internal parasites (apparently tasteless, but does make foods paste-y) but it also can be dusted all over their bedding for fleas -- IF you know where they sleep (which I typically don't know, with ferals, despite all the nice houses I put out there!).

With a current feral, I crushed a Drontal pill in smelly, wet tunafish, and he lapped it up.

For fleas, Capstar for cats is supposed to work, but I have not personally used it - looking forward to hearing what others think of it.
thanks everyone here! So many great tips. After 2 weeks of the homeopet wrm clear I can literally see her putting on weight. Does not detect it like everything else I tried. THANK YOU.
For the fleas I want to try the diatomaceous earth. It is getting colder and 2 of them are back to sleeping in the garage so I can sprinkle it on the pads they sleep on - is that how I do it? And am I reading that I could try some in their food for fleas as well?

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone here! So many great tips. After 2 weeks of the homeopet wrm clear I can literally see her putting on weight. Does not detect it like everything else I tried. THANK YOU.
For the fleas I want to try the diatomaceous earth. It is getting colder and 2 of them are back to sleeping in the garage so I can sprinkle it on the pads they sleep on - is that how I do it? And am I reading that I could try some in their food for fleas as well?
Yes, put it on the sleeping areas - they don't usually mind or even notice, oddly enough. I have also mixed it into dry food (give them extra water if you do this) or wet food (with a bit of extra water).

3cats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DeeCat, happy to hear you have good results. I feed my feral once a day and she always has dry food. Did you treat your feral once a day? When I ordered it from Amazon it said three times a day...I don't think I could do that with my girl.