Worm potbelly after deworming

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I adopted my kitten from the shelter two weeks ago today, and on Thursday he went into the vet for vaccinations and also because he was exhibiting a potbelly and soft stool I was anticipating was because of worms. The vet said it was pretty routine for kittens and prescribed a dewormer (Strongid-T Liquid, .5mL that day and 1mL in two weeks), which I administered to him when I get home. He's still exhibiting his worm potbelly and his stool is still soft; I didn't observe any worms in the stool he passed after the dewormer either. He's incredibly active, eats a ton, and drinks plenty, but I'm mostly just concerned that his stomach hasn't deflated. Is this something that happens gradually?

Pictures attached too. He's about 15 weeks and 3 pounds, he only gained .1 pounds since 7/20 but the vet said he should start gaining more rapidly once the worms are taken care of.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the Vet do a fecal to determine if he actually had worms, and if so, what type, or was he just assuming he did because so many kittens do? It's possible he doesn't have them, therefore he can't expel any

Also, did you ask your Vet how long it might take.to expel them. I thought normally it would happen sooner than this, but I only got that info from reading up on it...I've never used a dewormer on any of my cats.

It's possible the diarrhea is being caused by something else. Since he is recently adopted, perhaps it is change in foods? Or it could be some other parasite that Stongit-T doesn't take care of. In that case, a fecal exam would definitely be needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry I forgot to update this, thank you all SO much for your comments and helping an anxious cat mom 😅 So um it turns out he's completely fine, first fecal sample did have worms but he's got a clean bill of health now, except for that he's been diagnosed with being a wet food piggy. I can't believe I never picked up that he only had a swollen tummy after devouring his food. I've been splitting up his feedings more so he doesn't gorge himself and waddle around, but I wanted to update this in case anyone else had a similar issue and was wondering how mine resolved.

Here he is living his best life, in the rare moments he's not being a wild child.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thanks for the update. So glad he's doing fine. Such a cutie :loveeyes: