Worm in Water Bowl

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't drink out of his bowl, and prefers drinking tap. So although I still leave out a water bowl for him, it only gets changed maybe once a week.

Recently, when cleaning the water bow, I noticed worms inside the water. The smaller ones were white and the slightly larger ones were a dark brownish color. I am not sure if it's from bugs, or from my cat, or my cat food? (because every once in a while I find cat food inside the bowl)

If I want to check my cat for worms, do I bring stool samples to the vet? Because he has been acting strangely recently, and I can't put my finger on it. It's once of those "you know because you know" sort of things, and I really think it's something with his digestive system.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they alive? I don't believe there are any cat/dog worm parasites that could survive outside the body and in water like that.

I have no idea what is local to your area. If you could get a very clear picture I could try to identify them, but that would mean you'd probably have to get a picture of whatever this is outside of the water - probably one of the darker ones against a piece of paper would work.

But not being able to see them, and strictly going on your description of color changing "worms" that live in water - I think you're looking at some sort of beetle or fly type larvae.

I suggest, if you think the tap water isn't being purified at all, is that you get a filter and boil your water as well. In the meantime you can boil water then chill it for you and your cat to drink. Change the cat's water 2-3 times a day so that no eggs can be laid in it.

And yes, you can take a stool sample to your vet. You can keep in it the fridge for 24 hours if needed. You may also want to discuss the larvae in the water with your vet (I don't think they're the cause of anything) in case there is another problem with your water that could potentially be bad for you as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am quite positve they are some type of insects, because it makes no sense any type of Cat parasite can leave his body into the water bowl. However, I have tried chilled water, ice cubes, water fountains, and he will NOT drink it. He will avoid drinking it to the point where he is dehydrated and will start peeing on my bed and anything absorbant that is left out for him to pee on. So I have waved my white flag and will let him drink tap water 3 or 4 times a day.

I live in Taiwan, and it's tropical here so there is a variety of bugs. I saw similar bugs in a toilet that is rarely used that my cat cannot get access to, so that made me feel better knowing that is most likely did not come from my cat.

I will try to get a fresh stool sample for my Vet. Thanks so much!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always boil water and let it cool (with a lid on it) and put that down for him if you're unsure of the water itself.
I have no idea what the water quality standards are in Taiwan, but it's amazing what is allowed it slip in the US. Toxic chemicals being dumped into the water table, wells polluted, and towns and cities on municipal water that doesn't pass water quality tests (my city gets repeatedly fined).

There are some weird flukes and such that get into water here, but it's stagnant puddle water. They should never be found in tap water inside..

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of kitties prefer to drink running water. You might try a cat fountain.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think they could be mosquito larvae? you can see how they swim in water - and are tiny.

A side note: I went to Taiwan last year - I absolutely love it there and would love to go back - the people are SO nice and it is such a lovely country!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried offering him a short glass (tumbler) or maybe a larger tea glass full of water? Be careful! He may turn it over. Boo would get mad at the glass and flat stick a paw in it and turn it over all over the floor.
I noticed you say it doesn't get changed but once a week. I clean out all of my cat's glasses (since they prefer them to bowls) every day, even if they don't drink out of them. It is AMAZING how the glasses can get slimy and get a white film in them within 24 hours. Even with no film, they are still slimy on the inside (I assume from their spit) but I wouldn't want to drink out of a glass for a week without it being cleaned. Or does cleaning it daily cause the cat to not want to drink out of it?

My Boo demands water from the tub but is also loving ice water, because of his anemia, but recently changed the faucet on the tub and noticed the HORRID gunk inside the faucet. It was AWFUL. I am just imagining all the gunk and chemicals and strange things he may have been ingesting by drinking from that faucet. Now we have a brand new one with no 20+ years of gunk inside of it and at first he was actually kind of wary of drinking out of it. Now he's back to his usual self.

The faucet drinking can make a big difference in my water bill but as long as he is drinking I try not to get frustrated

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tea cup idea is a great idea, I'm going to give that a try.

I use to change the water bowl more frequently, but have gotten lazy because he doesn't drink out of it. But regarding the slimy part, is it really saliva?

I am positive it's not mosquito larvae, because you see those pretty often and can be easily identified. Taiwan is a great place until it's 40 degrees celcius and 90% humidity like it is today, then it's not so great

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The slimy part is most likely biofilm which is basically a layer of bacteria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

I was in Taiwan last September where it was really hot and humid - loved it! I loved a swimming pool that I went to that had these massaging things! I want to go back someday.

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, if you do, come pay me and Pillow a visit~!! We are in Southern Taiwan.

You can help me identify the worm inside his bowl, lol.