Working with very scared kitty

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
This is Beautiful Fluff she is 4 years old.
We got her when she was around 6 months old as a barn cat...
She will not come to us she is very scared always watched me in the barn for afar.
We are moving and I don't want to leave her behind
so we live trapped her have her in a cage in our back room She doesn't mind the 2 dogs walking by and we can stick our hands in and she loves pets and leans her head into our hands
Any suggestions on working with her to eventually be inside cat😊
20200503_102143.jpg

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is SO wonderful that you will take her with you. Is her name Beautiful Fluff? It certainly could be based on that pic!

Maybe take a look at these TCS articles and see if there are some things in them that you would like to try with her? (The last one really applies more to when you move.)
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

Hopefully, some of our members who have converted outdoor cats into indoor ones will come along soon with some first hand tips that worked for them!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is beautiful and you are very kind to take her with you. If she is letting you pat her and head butts, that is huge progress. When I have had to do this, and usually it has been an emergency, I have made a nice room for the cat in the largest bathroom we have. Since BF already likes you, she will be happy to have you visit but might feel safer if she has a crate or bed that she can retreat into. At that point, you can start to judge how confident she feels about venturing into the house at large. She apparently is used to the dogs and knows they won't hurt her. I would not let her into the house at large too soon, or even into a room with a lot of hidey holes if you can help it as she may stay hidden in a place where it is harder to socialize her. Having said that, I think that this cat is really on the way to being socialized and just needs to get her bearing in a new setting. She may surprise you...I have brought adult cats in who have looked around as if to say, "so this is how the other half lives" and never look back.