Wordle 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worked out a system where I put in 4 words with no overlapping letters, that covers 20 of the 26 letters, so I'm almost guaranteed to get it on the 5th try. But I need to challenge myself and try to get it on the 3rd or 4th guess instead.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thought I would share what my spreadsheet looks like because I just cleaned it up and am rather proud of it. I was just making one from scrap each day but decided to spend a few minutes to make a saved version that was cleaner. Example images are a random mix, not reflective of any specific word.

What I do is make a 1-3 guesses first and then if I am stuck put the letters in the different spots across the top. I have over 8,000 five letter words listed down the side copying out two different sources online and removing duplicates.
  • Green - Put the exact letter in the correct spot.
  • Yellow - Put yellow letters in any order.
  • Grey - Put grey letter in any order.
Screenshot 2022-01-25 110435.jpg

Then I apply filters.
  • Green - Filter for the place, so if the "O" is 2nd I filter for that column to be value 2. The formula is returning the place the letter first shows up in the queried word. So if it is a value "2" it is the second letter in the word.
  • Yellow - Filter for any value, that tells me the word option has the letter in question.
  • Grey - Filter for blank values, that tells me the word option does not have the letter in question.
Screenshot 2022-01-25 110539.jpg

I'm left with a list of possible words that I can make more guesses to narrow down or figure out the right word based on the positions I know letters are not in. The only thing is can't handle is if I figure out the second of a double letter because the formula returns the first occurrence of letter. If the letter I know is that second time that letter is in a word it won't read right but that's where I have to think some too. For the above, since so many words end in "Y" most likely "Y" isn't at the end so I could probably eliminate all but four words and depending on where I know the "L" isn't I would have one or two to pick from. And just thought of it, since the number is the place in the word if I know "Y" isn't the 5th letter I could filter out instances where Y is 5 with my existing format instead of visually checking. Same duplicate letter weakness but excel isn't perfect and human thinking still exists with it.

.... And yes, I spend way to much time in excel. I literally work with excel for several hours a day so its become how I think.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I would share what my spreadsheet looks like because I just cleaned it up and am rather proud of it. I was just making one from scrap each day but decided to spend a few minutes to make a saved version that was cleaner. Example images are a random mix, not reflective of any specific word.

What I do is make a 1-3 guesses first and then if I am stuck put the letters in the different spots across the top. I have over 8,000 five letter words listed down the side copying out two different sources online and removing duplicates.
  • Green - Put the exact letter in the correct spot.
  • Yellow - Put yellow letters in any order.
  • Grey - Put grey letter in any order.
View attachment 408795

Then I apply filters.
  • Green - Filter for the place, so if the "O" is 2nd I filter for that column to be value 2. The formula is returning the place the letter first shows up in the queried word. So if it is a value "2" it is the second letter in the word.
  • Yellow - Filter for any value, that tells me the word option has the letter in question.
  • Grey - Filter for blank values, that tells me the word option does not have the letter in question.
View attachment 408796
I'm left with a list of possible words that I can make more guesses to narrow down or figure out the right word based on the positions I know letters are not in. The only thing is can't handle is if I figure out the second of a double letter because the formula returns the first occurrence of letter. If the letter I know is that second time that letter is in a word it won't read right but that's where I have to think some too. For the above, since so many words end in "Y" most likely "Y" isn't at the end so I could probably eliminate all but four words and depending on where I know the "L" isn't I would have one or two to pick from. And just thought of it, since the number is the place in the word if I know "Y" isn't the 5th letter I could filter out instances where Y is 5 with my existing format instead of visually checking. Same duplicate letter weakness but excel isn't perfect and human thinking still exists with it.

.... And yes, I spend way to much time in excel. I literally work with excel for several hours a day so its become how I think.
Love it! Haven’t tried this method but I am an excel junkie as well!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love it! Haven’t tried this method but I am an excel junkie as well!
If you're interested, I used search to query the letter placement, =iferror(search(b$3,$a4),"")

It took longer to get a comprehensive word list sorted out since most sites made them a list with weird spacing. :stars: I think I am missing some words but for now it works.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're interested, I used search to query the letter placement, =iferror(search(b$3,$a4),"")

It took longer to get a comprehensive word list sorted out since most sites made them a list with weird spacing. :stars: I think I am missing some words but for now it works.
I think I might have some fun playing around with Excel and see if I can create something too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to stop playing while I'm nursing early in the morning. Five tries again. Maybe I'll do better if I have coffee first.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to stop playing while I'm nursing early in the morning. Five tries again. Maybe I'll do better if I have coffee first.
I really have to think about every try, so I usually do just one try and then come back later for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.