Woohoo going to Hawaii

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother has a time share, and we are going for two weeks. I have never been there (maui), any tips, advice, warnings?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful for you! I've always dreamed of going to Hawaii. Can I say I'm green with envy?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a GREAT time! My only warning to you is food is EXPENSIVE! I'm talking $35 for buy one get one free pizza at pizza hut, lol.... well thay was on the big island 2 years ago, but still
And cooking in the condo really isn't much cheaper, alll worth it though

Plan now, there are a million things to do and see. I believe Maui has a "tour" where they drive you to the top of the islad and feed you beakfast while you watch the sunrise then everyone bikes ack down, i really wanted to do that but I went to Kauai instead of Maui

Have fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am excited. Would I be able to take a box of cereal in my suitcase? It is from Trader Joe's and don't want to have to search for it, or be stuck with whatever the rest of the family want. I need it for health reasons
if ya know what i mean.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooooo - how exciting!

I really don't think cereal would be a problem! It's mostly stuff like fruit or live things that are of concern.

I'm feeling warmer already just THINKING about Hawaii! When do you go?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh how lucky you are, can I come?I'll fit in your suitcase honest
Ooooh we want loads of pics. xx

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going for two weeks in March. Just bought a neck pillow at bed bath and beyond for the plane.

tigercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So jealous!! We went to Maui for my 30th (already 5 years ago!!). You should buy the guidebook: The Ultimate Guide to Maui (they have them for all the islands), they are great guide books!
Going up to the top of Haeleakala for the sunrise is a must! We did that the morning of my b-day-stunning...have goosebumps thinking of it now!
Also drive to Hana...all the way to the end to see the 7 Sacred Pools. There is a short hike to the top of a waterfall-very cool-but be careful! My hubbie gave me fits getting too close to the edge.
Try to listen to where the locals go to eat-usually much cheaper and great food. Try: LuLu's in Kihei.
Enjoy your trip!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last time I went to Maui (tho it's been years and years), we bought fresh fruit from fruit stands and had that every morning with croissants on the balcony of our timeshare. It saved us lots of money, and was SO tasty. I think we probably just made sandwiches alot for lunches and spent our money for dinner out a few times, but also made dinner in sometimes. Everything is more expensive there, but, still, two weeks in Hawaii!!

You can get loads of info from different travel sites on what to do and what to see, and how to do it as inexpensively as possible. Just google it!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teri and I lived on Oahu for 13 years. Been to Maui many many times. You'll enjoy it, as it is much less "touristy" than Oahu where Honolulu is the main draw.
I recommend going to Haleakula either by rental car or tour. Iao Valley State Park. The road to Hana.....wear your seatbelt and drive carefully!

If you want to eat for cheap, the places that serve "plate lunch" are where the locals eat. Almost always good food and lots of it for a low price.

If you want to see an incredible resort, visit the Grand Wailea on the Kaanapali coast. Their 5 story pool is something else, and you can pay just to use the pool without booking a room.

BTW: You can take your cereal, it will pass the agri-inspection. They are worried mostly about fruits and veggies and some meats.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is really cool. I hope you enjoy it very much. Don't bring back any kitties
yes silly I know. Please lots of pics.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

My brother has a time share, and we are going for two weeks. I have never been there (maui), any tips, advice, warnings?
Sunblock and watch out for those volcanos!!!

*teasing*

Have a great time!!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, reading some of this stuff is interesting. I was planning on taking my Lemon Eucalyptus mosquito repellant. I looked all over for it last year, and I don't want it to be confiscated. It is all natural. How can I find out it if it is ok to take?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful! I am envious! My sil won a trip for two to Hawaii from a radio station a number of years ago. (Alas, she took her DH, not me.
)