Wood Shavings for Kitty Litter?

scottkeen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do some woodworking at home. Anyone use wood shavings (not sawdust) for kitty litter? Any issues with doing this?

I took apart a wood pallet and ran it through my thickness planer. I ended up with 2 garbage bags full of wood shavings (like you’d find for guinea pig cages). The pallet was stamped “HT” which I think means Heat Treated. Apparently this makes the wood safe for pets because the heat treatment gets rid of the phenols in pine.

At $12 a bucket for kitty litter, running a couple of pallet boards through the planer to make another bag of wood shavings for kitty litter is money in the bank. I’ve got enough pallet boards to probably yield at least a year of kitty litter.

Hey, c’mon, times are tough… Every cent counts.

Ruger (the GSD) and Kilia the cat

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure myself, but that certainly cost effective.

Is there anyway the cat could get splinters?  

Someone will answer you who has more knowledge.  

That would be great if its safe...

question...  You pay for litter by the bucket...  I've never heard of that.  How big is the bucket.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give it a try, see what your cat thinks. Because that's what really counts! :lol3: Odor control won't be great, but it's cheap enough that you could change it every day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can give it a try, see what your cat thinks. Because that's what really counts!
Odor control won't be great, but it's cheap enough that you could change it every day.
Yup,. no odor control and shavings are not very absorbant and definitely won't clump like regular cat litter. Fine for small animal cages but not great as cat litter. But if you're willing to empty the litter box every day, give it a quick clean with soap and water if needed, and replace it with new shavings, it might not be too bad.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the square yellow Tidy Cat plastic container with a handle. Not really a bucket, but when you're done with the litter and take off the lid, you have a square bucket!

So it would seem with a little extra work, can save you lot's of dough...

LOL, at the Tidy Cats bucket...  I thought in your neck of the woods, they were selling litter by the bucket. LOL  bring your own bucket get it filled. haha  kind of the way we used to buy oats for our pony back in the day. 

Let us know how it works out.  You could be on to something. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco here has a fill-your-own-bucket station! But it's not cheaper than buying Tidy Cats at Walmart, sadly. And you have to buy THEIR bucket :/.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Needs to be pine shavings or best if it is.  Cedar can be toxic to pets once urinated on...lethal for pocket pets. It sounds great what you're doing there.
  prefer fireplace pellets $6.50 - 40lbs (marked safe for pets)

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't know of phenols. Bought mini wood chips to get kitties used to the pellets because they weren't used to texture. Oops?