Won't use shelter

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a K&H heated shelter for a family of ferals now that it's gotten cold, but they don't seem to get what it's for. First, they were stymied by the "walls of hard air" on the outside - ie, the clear flaps on both entrances - and then when they did get inside, the air was still freezing because the heating pad is pressure-activated. They didn't hang around inside long enough for the pad to warm up, and now they don't even bother going inside it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to either preheat the air inside the thing or entice them to stay inside long enough for the pad to warm up?

cat247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

​I have an A -Frame feral cat house non-heated but I took the clear flap off one end of it and the new feral babies about 6 weeks old have been using it. I think they felt safer going into it with the one flap off. Once it gets colder I will try them by putting it back on.  The old saying  you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink comes to mind. Hopefully they will figure out that it is good place to go.  Try putting some treats inside to lure them on the heating pad and then they may figure out that it is a great place to be.  Thanks for taking care of feral cats. I am doing the same!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I bought a K&H heated shelter for a family of ferals now that it's gotten cold, but they don't seem to get what it's for. First, they were stymied by the "walls of hard air" on the outside - ie, the clear flaps on both entrances - and then when they did get inside, the air was still freezing because the heating pad is pressure-activated. They didn't hang around inside long enough for the pad to warm up, and now they don't even bother going inside it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to either preheat the air inside the thing or entice them to stay inside long enough for the pad to warm up?
Depending on what the pad is made of, you might try tossing it in the dryer on low for long enough to get it warm.  If it's plastic, try immersing it in hot water and then drying it with a hair dryer.  This is just brainstorming - I don't have any experience with the pressure activated heating pads so am not sure if either method would be safe with it.  Another possibility is to put something heavy on the pad inside the shelter until it's nice and toasty.  Whatever works, you can then lure them inside with some really tasty treats.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
​I have an A -Frame feral cat house non-heated but I took the clear flap off one end of it and the new feral babies about 6 weeks old have been using it. I think they felt safer going into it with the one flap off. Once it gets colder I will try them by putting it back on.  The old saying  you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink comes to mind. Hopefully they will figure out that it is good place to go.  Try putting some treats inside to lure them on the heating pad and then they may figure out that it is a great place to be.  Thanks for taking care of feral cats. I am doing the same!
That's the same one I bought, though I got the heated model. I've also pulled off one of the flaps. I've tried putting a few heavy cookbooks on the pad to activate it, but with the interior exposed, it doesn't remain warm for long. Plus, all the coming and going scares off the mom, and one of the kittens always follows her lead. I just bought K&H's microwaveable heating pad to try to double up the effect. It's snowing tonight, so I don't want the little balls of fluff out in the elements if I can help it. I was also going to buy a heated water dish, but the store I was at had sold out. Any wet food left out there turns into a foodcicle pretty quickly.

The more independent of the two kittens (the runt, strangely enough) loves to come in and play, but the last time I tried to keep both of them in overnight, they freaked out while I was asleep. They tore a hole through the window screen of the room they were in - I had cracked it open because they smell - and jumped out. Of a 2nd story window. They came right back the next day as if nothing had happened, so I guess they don't hold it against me. The little one is here indoors now, and although I don't want to let her back out into the snow, I know that she isn't going to react well if I try to keep her in a windowless room.

Cats, man.

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Depending on what the pad is made of, you might try tossing it in the dryer on low for long enough to get it warm.  If it's plastic, try immersing it in hot water and then drying it with a hair dryer.  This is just brainstorming - I don't have any experience with the pressure activated heating pads so am not sure if either method would be safe with it.  Another possibility is to put something heavy on the pad inside the shelter until it's nice and toasty.  Whatever works, you can then lure them inside with some really tasty treats.  
I'm tempted to blow a hair dryer into the dang thing for a few minutes. I've found that they're more play-driven than food-driven. I can set out a dish of food, but they won't show any interest until they've had some chase-and-pounce time with various wand toys. Sadly, I can't wave the end of a Da Bird inside the thing and have them sit inside it long enough for the pad to warm up. (I did try to get them to chase a laser pointer dot inside, though. Didn't work.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try sprinkling a bit of catnip onto the pad.  It might attract them and if they stand on the pad it will activate it.  I don't used the flaps on mine at all.  My boys would never stand for feeling trapped.  I did place a large rubbermaid lid over the top and attached with bungie cords to give extra protection from precipitation.  

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That K&H heating pad did the trick - the momcat is happily curled up on it inside the A-frame shelter. Admittedly, it was windy and snowy *last* night, but I think she'll remember her new cozy spot. I also found a couple 1-quart heated water bowls, so I should be able to provide them with freeze-proof food and water now.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What great news!  They'll be nice and warm, thanks to you!

cat247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like it is working out great! I know last year we had over a foot of snow and my cats Momma was out in it  and somehow found a place to shelter.  Many of my neighbors have left open the crawl spaces under the houses where the duct work is I am sure it keeps it a nice place. They come in from time to time covered with cob webs so I am pretty sure my bunch has another place to go if they get too cold. God bless you for helping the feral kitties.

justliving

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too had similar problems using the k & h heating pad in an outside house (inside it works much better). So, Bought a Sunbeam heating pad. Set it on low, cover with a blanket, and it will be warm in less than a minute. Model #731-500 (12x15) does NOT have 2 hr. auto-off feature like similar models. Hope this helps.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too had similar problems using the k & h heating pad in an outside house (inside it works much better). So, Bought a Sunbeam heating pad. Set it on low, cover with a blanket, and it will be warm in less than a minute. Model #731-500 (12x15) does NOT have 2 hr. auto-off feature like similar models. Hope this helps.
Is this Sunbeam model approved for outdoor use? If not I would not be using it. The K&H and other pet heating pads are approved for outdoor use. Be very cautious using a human heat pad. Even on low they can get way too hot and burn the cat.