Won’t use litter box- newly rescued nursing mother

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Short version- newly rescued stray nursing mother won’t use litter box. Seeking advice

Long version-
I recently rescued a nursing mom with three 4 week old kittens. She is friendly toward me, with a slow approach. She is also very protective and aggressive toward other cats (she’s does not interact with my resident cats but will hiss and sometimes claw at the door if she hears them in the hall). I have her in a spare bathroom and set a nest in the bathtub to keep the kittens contained. Mom is severely underweight so I put food and water in the tub on chux/puppy pads for close access.
She didn’t pee or poop for ove 24 hours. So we went to the vet to rule out obstruction, foreign body, etc. The vet said the x ray showed full bladder and colon so thought she was stress-holding. I put out two litter boxes with two different kinds of litter. That night she pooped and peed inside the tub on top of the chux pads near her food. I thought it was maybe a fluke and she just couldn’t hold it anymore. Next night, same thing happened. I got a different kind of litter and put it in the tub with her, with puppy pads around it. She pooped in the carrier and peed next to the litter box on the pads. tonight I’m taking all the puppy pads out of the tub and placing them in the litter box to see if she chooses to pee there.

Any advice? I know this poor cat has been through a lot and was super stressed. I would try cat attract litter but I’m concerned about clumping litter around the babies. Any other litters to try? Maybe feliway? It’s not as much the messes that I mind- I just worry this is a sign of stress. Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible she needs a litterbox with low entrance. Do you have any cardboard you can use? Cut it? I think petco has some that might help but are expensive. Is the litter scented?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was she living outside? If so, you might try scattering a little dirt and grass over the litter to make it smell more familiar. This may just be not really recognizing the litter box for what it is. Most cats just "get it," but the occasional one needs a bit of help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible she needs a litterbox with low entrance. Do you have any cardboard you can use? Cut it? I think petco has some that might help but are expensive. Is the litter scented?
Hmm. The box is only about 4 inches high. She can jump in and out of the bathtub, so I would imagine she’s able to step into this height?

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I just crouched over the bag of litter to check the scent (bag- not the litter box) which was a good 5-6 feet from where the cat was and she rushed over and attacked me. Claws to the face. What the heck??

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You triggered her about something. Perhaps she read it as a possible attack on her kittens, or it reminded her of something really bad in her history. How is your face? How is she?

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You triggered her about something. Perhaps she read it as a possible attack on her kittens, or it reminded her of something really bad in her history. How is your face? How is she?
Yes, I’m thinking it may have been the crinkle noise of the bag or just the idea that I was taking something that was hers. The kittens were on the opposite side of the room and she’d been surprisingly tolerant of me handling them (needed eye meds). I was fortunate that she only caught my forehead, nose, and under one eye, but not my eye itself. For safety’s sake I’ve moved them all into a XL crate. She is guarding this space for now but I can exchange food and water without opening the door.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is really stressed. I bet she just needs some more time. How long have you had her? Has she ever used her litter box with you? Was she living outdoors before this? Is she now using her box in her crate? Maybe she is just out of the practice of using her box.

I might try to block the resident cats from getting too close to the bathroom door, because if she smells them there, that could add to her stress.

I would put some extra litter boxes in the bathroom once she is back out of the crate if space permits. Are the kittens using the box yet? My cat was an orphaned that I fostered/bottle fed. She has always had a tenuous relationship with her litter box, and I often wondered if maybe it's because she didn't have a mom to show her how to use it.

Good luck! So great of you to take her on:)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your little girl is nervous and you don't know her triggers yet, you might consider buying safety glasses or even the goggles. They don't really cost that much and could save you quite a bit, not to mention having the wear the eye patch for awhile. I wear glasses and I admit that has given me more courage and daring with the cats.

Amazon has some. If your head is smaller you might want children's sizes, I do.
Package of 6 , $26

1629064534415.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5FBW8L/?tag=thecatsite

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is really stressed. I bet she just needs some more time. How long have you had her? Has she ever used her litter box with you? Was she living outdoors before this? Is she now using her box in her crate? Maybe she is just out of the practice of using her box.

I might try to block the resident cats from getting too close to the bathroom door, because if she smells them there, that could add to her stress.

I would put some extra litter boxes in the bathroom once she is back out of the crate if space permits. Are the kittens using the box yet? My cat was an orphaned that I fostered/bottle fed. She has always had a tenuous relationship with her litter box, and I often wondered if maybe it's because she didn't have a mom to show her how to use it.

Good luck! So great of you to take her on:)
Definitely stressed for sure! The person who took her right after she was found did say she used the litter box there, but I’m not sure what the living area was like. It sounded like she was in a cage with many other cats around and was extremely on edge. I moved her into a crate for safety and she did use the litter box in there with some dr elseys last night. I’ll be adding a smaller litter box for the kittens soon- I have some protective gloves arriving tomorrow and I want to wait until then.

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since your little girl is nervous and you don't know her triggers yet, you might consider buying safety glasses or even the goggles. They don't really cost that much and could save you quite a bit, not to mention having the wear the eye patch for awhile. I wear glasses and I admit that has given me more courage and daring with the cats.

Amazon has some. If your head is smaller you might want children's sizes, I do.
Package of 6 , $26

View attachment 391724

Amazon.com: 24 Pack of Safety Glasses (24 Protective Goggles in 6 Different Colors) Anti-Fog Crystal Clear Eye Protection - Perfect for Construction, Shooting, Lab Work, More! : Tools & Home Improvement
Great suggestion! I wear these at work so I can take a pair home!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try wearing them a time or two, just being in the room with her, before trying to approach her wearing them. Cats are hyperalert to things like this, and it would be good for her to just see them as something not to fear before they get too close to her.