Won't sleep in cat bed

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Smart cats. But I also mean to start associating the bed with something good :redtabby:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What else could I put in that they'd like? I put it in front of the electric fireplace where they like to sleep, I put in a towel they've slept on, I put in toys they play with. I even sat with it in my lap. They won't have anything to do with it (it's a plush circular-form bed). So I sometimes use it as a foot warmer (and it really is comfy used for that).

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
What else could I put in that they'd like? I put it in front of the electric fireplace where they like to sleep, I put in a towel they've slept on, I put in toys they play with. I even sat with it in my lap. They won't have anything to do with it (it's a plush circular-form bed). So I sometimes use it as a foot warmer (and it really is comfy used for that).
Not sure. But someday they might change :dunno:

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As soon as I decided I was going to throw away a cat bed, my cat would immediately start using it. So there's an option. The one he never used, because I never threatened to throw it away, was the lovely Martha Stewart Cat Bed that is just too cute.

Guapo enjoys sitting in everything but cat beds, so you may just have to accept your cat is a cat and will never do what you want.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try putting it away for a month, then bring it out and see what happens :sunshine:

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I spent 16 17 hours a day sleeping with different aims (resting my body while keeping alert, napping or deep rest with no disturbances) I doubt I would sleep in the same place..
Kittens may fall into a coma after crazy action or they might prefer to sleep hidden if they had tough times. Normally if bonded, they want to sleep with or near you so putting your scented clothes on sleeping spots is a great idea.
As they mature, preferences will geometrically increase
If the reason of a cat bed is location, I guess it's not a battle you can win. My cat sleeps on 4 different furniture items and on different parts of the same furniture according to mood and time of day. All new boxes are slept in at least 3 times never more than a week total. Also on the floor at places she has sensory control of multiple rooms or where the sun shines upon..
If the reason is preventing fur, throws are a great idea for their favorite spots. But when you wash them they might be unflavored. I once brought her a chair pillow thrown out by a colleague. Became a favorite bed until I washed it. Wherever I put it she touched anywhere but.. It took a whole year of dust collection then it became one of the favorites.. For about a month.. :)