Won’t play/Crying

karma2222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old cat is having some issues I can’t figure out .... I do think he is going a bit deaf and his night vision has been off for a few years So that may be playing a part.

He LOVES sitting on the bed and catching pom poms you throw. We used to do this literally for over an hour up until a few years ago as he started to slow down. I went through a period when he was younger were he wouldn’t play by myself at all - Bach flower essence helped that. Now it’s not working this time ..... he goes upstairs and cries bloody murder .... I go up and try to play and he just watches it. I leave. He starts crying again. I come back, he won’t play. On and on. And it’s not just meowing - it’s like deep, insanely loud angry/sad cries And he does it multiple times a day. I tried switching it up with different toys - nothing.

I don’t know what to do and it’s driving me crazy! Most of the time it’s right at bedtime is the worse and I have horrible horrible insomnia so getting up and down constantly, or getting mad right before bed is making it worse.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sounds like it could a few different things. Some cats acquire a form of dementia that will cause them to howl, some just get more 'needy' as they age, and losing hearing can play a role as well. There are other health issues such a hyperthyroidism or kidney disease that seems to cause howling. It could even be arthritis that is bothering him. A full scale geriatric check up with a vet might be a good idea if he hasn't had one very recently.

Maybe just cuddle with him or lay with him and talk to/pet him when he does this during the day. Where does he sleep at night? If not with you, you might try taking him to bed with you and see what he does. And, have a footstool or step that can enable him to jump up and down from the bed on his own, in case there is some arthritis going on. Since you said his vision is dwindling, make sure you have nightlights or other type lights left on at night to help him see more easily.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

karma2222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he has arthritis and on glucoamine supplement and just started a CBD oil to calm his gut tract that is irritated again (because he won't eat the food well that his system likes bit will eat kibble at this point - this had been a long term issue.

He always sleeps with me but doesn't like my earlier bedtime I need since my chronic pain started . He wants the same routine as we had before.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a laser toy?

I would also maybe email the vet with the symptoms and ask for their advice?

It does sound potentially neurological, but I'm not a doctor, just guessing based on my own experiences.