Won't Eat - End Of My Rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stinky showed up yesterday morning with his tail hanging down. I tried to examine him but when I touched his tail about an inch or 2 from his rear end he started growling and hissing....Naturally he wouldn't eat anything. I finally got him to eat about a 1/2 jar of Chicken baby food and a little later on some cooked pork. I decided not to take him to Vet. and let him got for the day. This morning he wouldn't eat again so I took him to Vet. Vet. had to give him shots to sedate him enough to shave the area and exam. It was a bite and he said he didn't think he needed an Xray. He got Antibiotics & Onsior shots. I start him on Antibiotics & Onsior tomorrow and I have Nystatin Neomycin ointment for 2x a day. He ate a little when we got home and an hour or so after we got back he started moving his tail some. Later this afternoon he seemed to be doing even better but still a little off from the sedative and other stuff. Maybe he will stay out of trouble for a while! Vet. said he must be a lover not a fighter since he was bitten on the tail. He said most cats get wounds on the head/face. I think he is right. I'm still undecided about him getting an Echocardiogram.
10 days to 2 weeks and you wouldn't ever know he had the bite except for where he was shaved by Vet. He has been doing really well, still finicky about eating but eats good at times. When he gets to point he isn't eating enough I give him another Mirtazapine, usually 3-4.5 days between. Recently he has been very playful and seems to feel very good. Still pondering the Echocardiogram, seems he would present some sign if he had heart problems. :ohwell::sigh:

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
10 days to 2 weeks and you wouldn't ever know he had the bite except for where he was shaved by Vet. He has been doing really well, still finicky about eating but eats good at times. When he gets to point he isn't eating enough I give him another Mirtazapine, usually 3-4.5 days between. Recently he has been very playful and seems to feel very good. Still pondering the Echocardiogram, seems he would present some sign if he had heart problems. :ohwell::sigh:
Haven't posted in a while, Stinky has been behaving well and has been very energetic and playful. From time to time I try and not give him an App. Stim. but he either won't eat or eats very little. Last week I decided to completely stop giving him any people food at all. I had been giving him a little raw/cooked chicken and pork and though this might be adding to his pickiness. 5 days ago he has 1/2 a usual dose of App. Stim. and seems to be eating okay although he doesn't seem to eat much in the mornings. I am watching his weight and if he starts losing to much he will go back on the app. stim. Unfortunately the food he seems to like now is Friskies Turkey / Giblets shreds. He gets that in the afternoon and his grain free Purina in the mornings. I'm not going to subject him to the 2 hour trip to get his echocardiogram at this time because he has been through a lot and I honestly see no need for it.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine too. I know one other person too, her cats will only eat the Shreds. It's a cat favorite for some reason.
I don't particularly like giving him Friskies as it gives him gas and it isn't a very good cat food IMO. He ate the "bits" too. I'll give him whatever kind of cat food he will eat.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Haven't posted in a while, Stinky has been behaving well and has been very energetic and playful. From time to time I try and not give him an App. Stim. but he either won't eat or eats very little. Last week I decided to completely stop giving him any people food at all. I had been giving him a little raw/cooked chicken and pork and though this might be adding to his pickiness. 5 days ago he has 1/2 a usual dose of App. Stim. and seems to be eating okay although he doesn't seem to eat much in the mornings. I am watching his weight and if he starts losing to much he will go back on the app. stim. Unfortunately the food he seems to like now is Friskies Turkey / Giblets shreds. He gets that in the afternoon and his grain free Purina in the mornings. I'm not going to subject him to the 2 hour trip to get his echocardiogram at this time because he has been through a lot and I honestly see no need for it.
Guess I shouldn't have posted about the 5 day no app. stim., as he decided he wouldn't eat yesterday afternoon. I gave him another 1/2 dose. Still so much better than he was a month or more ago.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Guess I shouldn't have posted about the 5 day no app. stim., as he decided he wouldn't eat yesterday afternoon. I gave him another 1/2 dose. Still so much better than he was a month or more ago.
Haven't posted in a while. Stinky continues on his on/off (mostly on) hunger strike. Last couple of weeks seems like the Mirtazapine isn't as effective as it was in the past. Recently I gave him his dose and he didn't beg/eat so I gave him a little more 12 hrs. later. He ate, but not well. Naturally I had visions of taking him to the Vert. and finding something bad. As usual he fooled me again and seemed to start eating more. I gave him a 1/4 dose of Cyproheptadine one day and he finally ate. His appetite seems to always be there when he is on the Mirtazapine but he sometimes is extremely picky about what he will eat. I bet I opened 8 different cans of cat food one day and he either sniffs and walks away or takes a bite and walks away. I got tired of this very quickly! He pretty much will eat raw/cooked pork or chicken all the time. I had stopped giving him this because I was afraid it was doing more harm than good, but now when he barely eats or eats nothing I will give him some. He does eat a little kibble so I just leave it out all the time even though I know it could cause Urinary problems. He has a good thirst drive so no Urinary issues yet. I monitor his weight frequently and when he starts dropping weight I start taking extra measures (more app. stim. and/or more chicken/pork) to keep his weight up. He is due his vaccinations in June but I may take him in early for testing and Vaccinations. I am afraid to up his App. Stim. dose because I know it can have side effects. He is pretty much a normal cat other than his Anorexia.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I looked but didn't see that I've posted this for you.

In case something might help;

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Also here is a compilation of things;

Try feeding in different locations - and utilize different heights. For example put a couple of books underneath the dish, next time use two thick phone books, or a small-ish box so the heights are varied....

Try sitting with him and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon and hopefully your kitty will lick it. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek.

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haven't posted in a while. Stinky continues on his on/off (mostly on) hunger strike. Last couple of weeks seems like the Mirtazapine isn't as effective as it was in the past. Recently I gave him his dose and he didn't beg/eat so I gave him a little more 12 hrs. later. He ate, but not well. Naturally I had visions of taking him to the Vert. and finding something bad. As usual he fooled me again and seemed to start eating more. I gave him a 1/4 dose of Cyproheptadine one day and he finally ate. His appetite seems to always be there when he is on the Mirtazapine but he sometimes is extremely picky about what he will eat. I bet I opened 8 different cans of cat food one day and he either sniffs and walks away or takes a bite and walks away. I got tired of this very quickly! He pretty much will eat raw/cooked pork or chicken all the time. I had stopped giving him this because I was afraid it was doing more harm than good, but now when he barely eats or eats nothing I will give him some. He does eat a little kibble so I just leave it out all the time even though I know it could cause Urinary problems. He has a good thirst drive so no Urinary issues yet. I monitor his weight frequently and when he starts dropping weight I start taking extra measures (more app. stim. and/or more chicken/pork) to keep his weight up. He is due his vaccinations in June but I may take him in early for testing and Vaccinations. I am afraid to up his App. Stim. dose because I know it can have side effects. He is pretty much a normal cat other than his Anorexia.
Oh you are such a good soul taking such care of Stinky. I know how you must feel. I went through that last year about this time with my poor baby. At least yours is eating something mine would only take what I syringe fed him.
One of my other cats likes canned food diluted in water. I press it with a fork so as to make it one mass if it is chunks he has and then put water, but mostly I give him a mousse canned food that is diluted easily and that one he prefers.
I wish from the bottom of my heart that when you take him to the vet the tests will only find him better and better. My prayers are with you both.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh you are such a good soul taking such care of Stinky. I know how you must feel. I went through that last year about this time with my poor baby. At least yours is eating something mine would only take what I syringe fed him.
One of my other cats likes canned food diluted in water. I press it with a fork so as to make it one mass if it is chunks he has and then put water, but mostly I give him a mousse canned food that is diluted easily and that one he prefers.
I wish from the bottom of my heart that when you take him to the vet the tests will only find him better and better. My prayers are with you both.
Thank you so much. If he was acting sick or just laying around doing nothing things would have been much different for him.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. If he was acting sick or just laying around doing nothing things would have been much different for him.
Yes, I know. Mine wouldn't even purr when I touched him which was so unlike him, as he was the most affectionate cat I had. He would leave his food and come to me to caress him, and then it was such a sudden downfall. He would do nothing just go here and there as if he was looking for a place to die. All within a month. Enjoy your beautiful baby, he deserves your love.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just realized I hadn't posted in a while. I took Stinky in for an exam and vaccinations in June. No problems but one of his enzymes was a little high. I specifically asked to see his usual Vet. but when the Vet. came in the room it was one of the other ones. He said the Dr. had just delivered some pups and I could see him if I wanted. I let this Vet. do the exam. Kind of made me mad, he knew nothing about Stinky's history! The thought did occur to me that the Stinky's reg. Vet. was dodging me. Anyway he is still about the same, get's Mirtazapine every 3 days or a little less. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't work good. I finally figured out it is very hard to 1/4 a pill very precisely so sometimes he doesn't get a full dose. Sometimes it seems like he may have developed an immunity to it so I will give him more after 60 hrs. instead of 72. Once last week it was like he hadn't had it and wouldn't eat so I gave him 1/2 of a Cyproheptadine and he ate for a day. I think probably early Nov. I am going to go back to the Vet. and let him check him out and possibly go get the Echocardiogram they suggested last year. Honestly I just don't see any signs heart trouble my self. He is still extremely picky about his food. About the time you think he likes something and buy a lot he will quit eating it. He is maintaining weight and probably gaines some. He still looks thin but has a bit of a belly.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just realized I hadn't posted in a while. I took Stinky in for an exam and vaccinations in June. No problems but one of his enzymes was a little high. I specifically asked to see his usual Vet. but when the Vet. came in the room it was one of the other ones. He said the Dr. had just delivered some pups and I could see him if I wanted. I let this Vet. do the exam. Kind of made me mad, he knew nothing about Stinky's history! The thought did occur to me that the Stinky's reg. Vet. was dodging me. Anyway he is still about the same, get's Mirtazapine every 3 days or a little less. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't work good. I finally figured out it is very hard to 1/4 a pill very precisely so sometimes he doesn't get a full dose. Sometimes it seems like he may have developed an immunity to it so I will give him more after 60 hrs. instead of 72. Once last week it was like he hadn't had it and wouldn't eat so I gave him 1/2 of a Cyproheptadine and he ate for a day. I think probably early Nov. I am going to go back to the Vet. and let him check him out and possibly go get the Echocardiogram they suggested last year. Honestly I just don't see any signs heart trouble my self. He is still extremely picky about his food. About the time you think he likes something and buy a lot he will quit eating it. He is maintaining weight and probably gaines some. He still looks thin but has a bit of a belly.
I am so glad your Stinky is doing well. Unfortunately I lost another cat just today. He had the same symptoms as my Benji last year. Sammy was 14 years old and was so strong he would go up and down the stairs in a second. Three days ago he stopped eating and fell on his side. I took him to the vet and started medication cortisone and iv. Yesterday he seemed very weak and today he died. I buried him in my garden next to Benji as they had always been together. Now Jeffry is alone as he doesn't want to go with my other four cats. I just cannot stop crying and wondering how he left so fast.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad your Stinky is doing well. Unfortunately I lost another cat just today. He had the same symptoms as my Benji last year. Sammy was 14 years old and was so strong he would go up and down the stairs in a second. Three days ago he stopped eating and fell on his side. I took him to the vet and started medication cortisone and iv. Yesterday he seemed very weak and today he died. I buried him in my garden next to Benji as they had always been together. Now Jeffry is alone as he doesn't want to go with my other four cats. I just cannot stop crying and wondering how he left so fast.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

sandyshores

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

sandyshores

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a Mirtazapine Oral suspension - you may want to get your vet to call RoadRunner Plhamacy and have it compounded into an oral suspension. Roadrunner can do oral suspensions in a chicken marshmallow flavor and it is very tasty to cats. That way you just give xml of the liquid and it's always the right dose. I always opt for oral suspensions over cut pills. More expensive but worth it.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has the vet checked his teeth?? I had four cats all from the same family that developed stomatitis. The vet said it was hereditary. It was horrible trying to get them to eat anything!

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lost another cat on the 4th of this month. Same way. He wouldn't eat and just drank a little water. I took him for IV and antibiotics for two days but the third he passed away before they had the time to get some blood for tests. Both the vet and I cannot get what the matter is. Both my Benji whom I lost last year (age almost 12) and Sammy (age 14) are indoor cats. I suspect cancer. I just cannot understand how three days before he died he would jump up and down and follow me everywhere and eat a lot etc. I am so so sad. And I have my Yorkie with neurological problems and hind leg instability. I see my babies going one after the other. Also another cat, Jeffrey (age 13) had an epileptic crises about a month ago and I was scared to lose him but he is completely fine. As if there is a curse on me. I cannot believe it.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has the vet checked his teeth?? I had four cats all from the same family that developed stomatitis. The vet said it was hereditary. It was horrible trying to get them to eat anything!
Yes he had his teeth cleaned and examined last Summer.