Won't Eat - End Of My Rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After yesterdays scare I see no ill effects today. He ate pretty good this a.m. but not real good this evening. He was due his regular dose of Mizertapine this afternoon but I'm gonna wait and see how he does in the morning. He has managed to put on a little wight since I picked him up. I took him outside this morning on his leash since he has been meowing to get out. I'm not sure that's a good idea. He seems to be tolerating staying inside okay for now. Vet said results could take 1-2 weeks. His incision looks really good.
Just va quick update. I got the "suitical", came a day later than promised. Unfortunately it was too small so I just returned it. I made a cover out of a t-shirt which I use when I can watch him instead of the E collar. My poor baby looks so pitiful in the E collar. He figured out he can drink water with it and kibble too. I take him outside from time to time on leash when he really is begging to go out. I made an appointment for Monday p.m. to get the stitches out. Last few days he has become much more active, played a little and jumps on counter/tables. Incision still looks good and he is maintaining/gaining a little weight. I would feel better if he gained a bit more but he is fine, just a tad thin. Hopefully I can talk the Vet into letting him go back to his regular indoor/outdoor life as I know that's what he wants. We should have results next week from his biopsies and hopefully we get a resolution to what is causing the Hypercobaliminemia and it is treatable. There is not a lot of information on it other than "Hypercobalaminaemia is associated with hepatic and neoplastic disease in cats".
I would have ended all this long ago were it not for him acting almost normal other than eating. My emotions are all over the place, mostly bad...

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news, got results for the Biopsies (spleen, liver, intestine). Vet says no cancer present but apparently lymph nodes under intestine are inflamed. Likely either an infection or possibly a parasite. Since we already tried Metronidazole he pretty much ruled out parasite. we are going to try Prednisone in one month after he is healed from the surgery. Dr. said he had seen some bad things happen to Cats who were given Steroids too soon after surgery. Another plus is he is going to consult with the Internist who he had look at him before. He is getting me a Fatty acid supplement (pill) to give him as well. I mentioned Milk Thistle but he said that was mainly for Liver. While we haven't found a definitive cause at least we know it isn't cancer. :yess::clapcat:

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been 13 days since the Biopsy and I think the incision is looking really good. I quit using the E collar day b4 yesterday. I plan on letting him go back outside as he seems to be feeling pretty good. I bought some spray bandage to put on incision to keep dirt out. I gave him a half dose of pepcid yesterday afternoon and he ate really good after a while. He seems to really like ham/pork so I had a sample of Ez-complete so I made a small batch of raw pork for him but he only ate a few bites so far. He will eat the raw pork alone no problem.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a cat for you LOL
Thanks so very much for the updates!! :lovecat4:
Well I tried to upload a picture of the incision but it doesn't show up. I tried from the "upload a file" and from the picture Icon in the reply box.... Guess I'm not able yet.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's the incision after 13 days. I think the circular spot on the far right is some kind of bruise or something.
IMG_2591.jpg

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a little update... Stinky is doing fine and eating as long as he gets his Mirtazapine. The Vet. called me, he was going to confer with the Internist he had look at Stinky but he hasn't been able to get hold of her. I told him that I hadn't mentioned to him that I had removed a couple of ticks from Stinky late Winter and perhaps this could be causing a problem. He said it was a possibility so we are going to start him on a 2 week course of Antibiotic. My cat prior to Stinky who I had to put down died of an intestinal growth but he had FIV so we didn't treat and he also had ticks that same year in late Winter.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stinky's been doing well, he actually went a couple of days off the Mirtazapine so I think his appetite is better. I started him back on it yesterday afternoon as he didn't eat much. The Vet gave me some Omega-3 fatty acid capsules to give him. I thought they would be a pill. I tried piercing one and putting in with cat meat but he wouldn't touch it. Liquid wasn't an option he doesn't do liquids well. I'm thinking maybe I can put it in a pill pocket. I'll try later. I delayed starting him on the Doxycycline a couple of days since he was doing so well but I plan on starting tomorrow afternoon. I'm concerned about side effects and was also concerned that some say not to use pills but rather liquid. I think the pills will be okay with a pill masker.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started Stinky on the Doxycycline yesterday afternoon after eating. He seemed to tolerate it well and I watched him for about an hour. I know it's a long shot but maybe the ticks were the cause of all this and this will help. He has been through so much. It amazes me he still loves me.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, bless your heart, he knows you're trying your best, and he knows you love him :heartshape:
Yes I think he does! A month or so ago I was afraid he was going to disown me. After 3+ months, lots of tests, x-rays, 2 ultrasounds and several biopsies we still don't know much other than it isn't cancer but he has swollen lymph nodes under intestine. He barely fights me when I pill him with his antibiotic and his every 3 day Mirtazapine. Honestly I think my Vet. is disappointed he can't put his finger on a definite cause. Hopefully the doxycyxline helps or when he consults with the Internist, she has a better idea. He is better than he was 3 months ago except for the not eating, but Mirtazapine fixes that pretty well. Thanks you for the kind thoughts.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. Stinky is still plodding along taking his Mirtazapine to eat. We have 8 more days of the Doxycycline then we will be back at Vets. to assess what's going on or not going on. He has had some pretty good days and even played several times. He had a setback the other day and didn't want to do much. I think he may have eaten a bird 3 days ago as I found feathers and a little blood on the porch. I have never seen him eat anything he catches. Ironically the evening before we were out for a walk and he came running up to me with a young bird in his mouth still alive. I distracted him and we went on. He either caught another bird after we got back or went back and found the one he originally had! He is maintaining weight well and has started eating canned cat food better. I don't like giving him kibble but if he will eat it he gets it. I learned from my last cat that it is too easy to get on the habit of just leaving kibble out for them to eat and before you know it that is all the want or eat, so I try and put the kibble dish away at night. I got some Primal Pork yesterday I had ordered but he wouldn't eat it. We will try again this afternoon. I may try buying some frozen raw cat food this weekend. The nearest Pet store that seems to carry some is 50 miles away.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note, The Vet. called me just now and explained that the Internist called him back but he missed the call and he doesn't know what is going on with her. He said she usually calls back pretty quick. (I think it's been 11 days). She does consulting.teaching with Vets. primarily. I am VERY impressed that my Vet. would call me back after this length of time. I doubt you would ever get a call from my old Vet.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stinky took his last dose of Doxycycline this p.m. He wasn't too interested in eating yesterday p.m. so I gave him 1/2 of usual dose of Mirtazapine. He wouldn't eat the Beef he has been liking but ate a good bit of kibble. I happened to be in Tractor Supply late this morning and was checking out their varieties of Fancy Feast and I saw some small cans of their 4Health brand so I got some Chicken and Tuna. I gave him a can of the Chicken and he ate it. I gave him another can this evening and he ate it as well. Guess he has a new favorite for a few days. Haven't heard from Vet. but not worried as we weren't going to possibly do Prednisone till one month was up from his Biopsies, that is after the 8th. I believe.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_2629.JPG
Stinky took his last dose of Doxycycline this p.m. He wasn't too interested in eating yesterday p.m. so I gave him 1/2 of usual dose of Mirtazapine. He wouldn't eat the Beef he has been liking but ate a good bit of kibble. I happened to be in Tractor Supply late this morning and was checking out their varieties of Fancy Feast and I saw some small cans of their 4Health brand so I got some Chicken and Tuna. I gave him a can of the Chicken and he ate it. I gave him another can this evening and he ate it as well. Guess he has a new favorite for a few days. Haven't heard from Vet. but not worried as we weren't going to possibly do Prednisone till one month was up from his Biopsies, that is after the 8th. I believe.
Not much has changed. I think he is feeling better and is more active now that Antibiotics are gone. Late yesterday afternoon I found a wound on his side, in front of his upper leg. Initially I thought it was a bullet hole but there was no sign of blood and he was acting fine. He didn't seem sensitive to touch anywhere so I just let it go. He's still fine today. Looks like he may have japped himself with something sharp to me. I plan on taking him to the Vet. tomorrow or Fri. and will let him look at it. The only thing I feel is out of the ordinary is he feels full all the time since day before yesterday. I haven't gotten the courage to see what happens if I don't give him his app. stim. He was due his app. stim. this morning and he wouldn't eat so I took the usual easy way out.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 251363

Not much has changed. I think he is feeling better and is more active now that Antibiotics are gone. Late yesterday afternoon I found a wound on his side, in front of his upper leg. Initially I thought it was a bullet hole but there was no sign of blood and he was acting fine. He didn't seem sensitive to touch anywhere so I just let it go. He's still fine today. Looks like he may have japped himself with something sharp to me. I plan on taking him to the Vet. tomorrow or Fri. and will let him look at it. The only thing I feel is out of the ordinary is he feels full all the time since day before yesterday. I haven't gotten the courage to see what happens if I don't give him his app. stim. He was due his app. stim. this morning and he wouldn't eat so I took the usual easy way out.
We went to the Vet. today. While there I noticed he had a tender spot on his leg, it was a bite mark, the other halk of the one I saw 2 days ago. Vet. said they were fine but he got an Antibiotic shot just in case. He gave me Prednisolone which Stinky will be starting in a few days. My Vet. has run out of things to check. He has tried contacting the Internist that comes to his office every so often to teach CE classes but she hasn't responded. He said she is coming in 2 weeks for sure. I think I may send her an email if I can.

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting a sick cat to eat is a real problem...one that I think is solved with each and every cat, as they all seem to have different eating habits and food enjoyments.
Recently when our Tribble 5 months old...was sick from his last kitten vaccination he was vomiting...and had runny poop...and he wouldn't eat or drink anything. I came on here and everyone was so wonderful with tons of suggestions...We tried all of these...
baby food (turkey and chicken...only organic with water)
Can tuna (people low sodium and regular..both mixed with water not oil)
Garbage can (ala Fancy feast...three different kinds)
Food mixed with tuna water
finally we mixed baby food with a little water...and put it into a syringe and hand feed him...my husband held him and I gently as possible feed him as much as I could about every hour or so.
You try whatever will seem to work...until they get back on their feet. We knew we had a limited amount of time before we would have to take him into the Emergency Pet Hospital...BUT...GREAT NEWS...he finally started eating again slowly...still on an hour schedule on Tuesday...and now as of today is back to stuffing himself like a little piglet. No vomiting or runny poop since Monday. We are so happy...when he first ate again on his own...I cried I was so happy
GOOD LUCK with your FURBABY...hope he's back to eating all on his own very soon...Don't give up...try everything they suggest here...they are such caring WONDERFUL knowing people...THANK YOU ALL

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I was wondering why she called Fancy Feast garbage can. That's what I feed. That's why I put the smiley, since I think it's a pretty okay food. :)

Sorry if I worded it wrong, well lack of words really, I meant no offense. Hope your baby is okay.