Won't Eat - End Of My Rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have struggled so hard with getting my cat to eat. She was a nibbler even before she got sick and I could never free feed her because we have a piggy in the apartment that will steal all the other cats food and human food too!

I have to sit with Mika, stir up the food I get her (a mousse wet food because she licks wet food instead of taking chunks to eat), and keep putting it in front of her. When she refuses it more than 3 times, I give her a 20 minute break and go back at it till she finishes all of her food. It may take an hour but otherwise she'll ignore her food till it's all dry, crusty and probably teeming with bacteria from sitting out anyway.

I don't have her on dry food really because she wont touch it. Have you considered giving him a mousse type of food to see if he'll eat that like the baby food?
I do keep pushing the food on him till he eats something. I don't know which foods are "mousse type" can you list some please? I usually use Pate, but he seems to have given up on canned cat food for the time being. If he's gonna eat something I don't think the texture matters because he will eat the kibble or chunks of cooked chicken. After lunch today I had to go to the store so I got him another different kind of kibble and he actually ate a few bites of it. I think the packaged kibble loses its odor after its been opened. I got a sample of Kiwi lamb kibble in the mail today but he didn't eat any of it. It was Lamb. Thanks for the help

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suggest calling the vet and ask to get medication for nausea. Cerenia is a good one. Pancreatitis causes nausea. Its not unusual for this to happen. Also ask about peppcid AC as well. Both combined really helps and ask for pain medication as this is very painful.

Have you done sub fluids since the other day? I really think you need a pill popper.

Also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5TPXRM/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

Let me find the video to use. The pepcid is bitter and so is cerenia. Also you can put antibiotic inside. I use a syringe of water first give a few sips then put pill in popper coat the end sticking out with a touch of butter. Sit kitty on couch or other nonslip surface facing away from you and you use one hand to put finger on side of mouth then lift head back towards you to help jaw fall open and follow after with more water in syringe. I personally face cat towards me. She only likes her left side mouth touched so thats thw side i slide my finger into crease of mouth and gently grab top jaw and pull upwards. This causes mouth to relax more but my cat is very easy to pill...let me find that video...

Stinky tested negative for Pancreatitis. The Vet. is trying the Antibiotic instead of doing a biopsy. The Vet. tech used a pill popper the other day. I usually have good success pilling cats. I do like the "Pill Masker" I got better than the "Pill Pockets." I evidently didn't hold his mouth shut and his head up long enough this morning. He acted like he swallowed it but he has probably wised up. Tomorrow afternoon he will have been on the Antibiotic for a week so I'll call the Vet. and I'll definitely ask about pain meds. and I will be asking about a different App. Stimulant. Thanks for helping.

Oops I forgot this. No I quit the Sub Q fluids after doing it once and trying a 2nd. time. Its been laying on counter and I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

Last edited:

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know which foods are "mousse type" can you list some please?
I'm really sorry that you're going through such a hard time with feeding him. I've been told time and time again that some eating is way better than no eating. I suggested the mousse because it seems like he was eating the baby food more. The brand I specifically was thinking of and am feeding is TikiCat Velvet. They have 6 different flavors and it comes in a pouch. I actually went to go find another brand that does this kind of mousse food but couldn't find one. I did notice that Nutro has a series of soft pate food that might be comparable.

Keep at it! You're doing the best thing for him by giving him those calories! If it gets really bad, look into finding a kitten pate food. They're typically smellier and have more calories!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry that you're going through such a hard time with feeding him. I've been told time and time again that some eating is way better than no eating. I suggested the mousse because it seems like he was eating the baby food more. The brand I specifically was thinking of and am feeding is TikiCat Velvet. They have 6 different flavors and it comes in a pouch. I actually went to go find another brand that does this kind of mousse food but couldn't find one. I did notice that Nutro has a series of soft pate food that might be comparable.

Keep at it! You're doing the best thing for him by giving him those calories! If it gets really bad, look into finding a kitten pate food. They're typically smellier and have more calories!
Thanks, I'll try and visit the Pet Store tomorrow. He gets an appetite stimulant in the morning so that usually helps.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was the day before he gets his appetite stimulant and is usually the hardest to get him to eat. It was a real struggle to get him to eat much yesterday. Yesterday evening he didn't want anything but before I went to bed I tried one more time and he ate a little.
Well to my surprise this morning before I gave him his Antibiotic and appetite stim. he actually ate a little kibble on his own. I made sure he swallowed meds. today.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mousse I give my cats and they adore is (PURINA) GOURMET GOLD MOUSSE CON POLLO. They love chicken but you can find it in other tastes. I usually mix it with a little water for one of my cats, he likes it more this way. It is very smelly, actually it smells so great when you open the can. It is a small can 85 gr. I hope you have it in the US.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The mousse I give my cats and they adore is (PURINA) GOURMET GOLD MOUSSE CON POLLO. They love chicken but you can find it in other tastes. I usually mix it with a little water for one of my cats, he likes it more this way. It is very smelly, actually it smells so great when you open the can. It is a small can 85 gr. I hope you have it in the US.
I have never seen that variety of Purina in any stores. I am going to the Pet store today and see what different I can find. Thanks

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a store by me that is really good for helping me find new cat food. They were Natural Pet Market and merged with Bentley's Pet Stuff. I looked online and they have stores in other states. It might be worth checking to see if they have a store near your. If they do call and ask if the staff is knowledgeable about cat foods. The store near me often has samples. They are also very good about returns. It is a little more expensive than a chain like Petsmart but they have more knowledge about foods and have foods the larger chains do not carry. Being able to have help from someone that has done their research on cat foods and can make great suggestions could really help you find some new foods you have not tried yet. The store near me will take back open bags of dry food if your cat does not like it. Most chains will not take back open food.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a store by me that is really good for helping me find new cat food. They were Natural Pet Market and merged with Bentley's Pet Stuff. I looked online and they have stores in other states. It might be worth checking to see if they have a store near your. If they do call and ask if the staff is knowledgeable about cat foods. The store near me often has samples. They are also very good about returns. It is a little more expensive than a chain like Petsmart but they have more knowledge about foods and have foods the larger chains do not carry. Being able to have help from someone that has done their research on cat foods and can make great suggestions could really help you find some new foods you have not tried yet. The store near me will take back open bags of dry food if your cat does not like it. Most chains will not take back open food.
Thanks, No such luck, none in my state. I have a Petsense nearby and that's about it unless I want to go 50+ miles to the big city. The day he gets the appetite stimulant he eats and isn't so picky. It's the next day or day and a half that can be a challenge. As long as he will eat the cooked chicken and a little kibble he may be okay. He seems to be maintaining weight fairly well.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also if it's hot out he won't want to eat as much. My cats eat overnight and not much during the day
This winter he would eat a little lunch with me but he was usually in the house sleeping. I got him to eat some chicken around 1, now he has disappeared on me. I think he got tired of me bothering him in the hot garage. He'll probably show up in a while, he usually sleeps most of the day. No luck on finding any "Mousse" cat food at Pet store. I did find some freeze dried treats and I got a pouch of Wilderness Rabbit which naturally he wouldn't eat! I do think he is feeling a little better. Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Talked to Vet. tonight. MY concern was that the Antibiotics were for 20 days and that the App. Stim. didn't work after basically 1/2 of the 3 days (or less). He said we could try other app. stims. if I wanted but he wants to do the whole 20 days of Antibiotics, then retest for his Cobalamine levels. I agreed to keep going like it is. Yikes another 2 weeks. He is showing intermittent improvements and maintaining weight fairly well which is encouraging.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He pulled a disappearing act yesterday after lunch. I looked and called but no cat. He usually either comes in the house late afternoon or is on front porch. After calling several times I gave up and had my supper. About 7 I went on front porch and called him one more time and he meowed and was laying where I didn't see him. He came in but didn't eat little if any. Finally got another jar of baby food in him and back out he went. This morning I was surprised to find him in the house when I got up. He usually comes in and wakes me up but he was just laying in living room. I fully expected for him to not eat but when I went into kitchen it looked like he had eaten kibble overnight sometime. I tried to push more food on him but he wasn't interested so I gave him another jar of baby food. When I left an hour or so later he was laying in front yard by the hedges so I petted him. He had caught a Circada and had been playing with it. That made me feel good because if he feels good enough to do that he has improved.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He pulled a disappearing act yesterday after lunch. I looked and called but no cat. He usually either comes in the house late afternoon or is on front porch. After calling several times I gave up and had my supper. About 7 I went on front porch and called him one more time and he meowed and was laying where I didn't see him. He came in but didn't eat little if any. Finally got another jar of baby food in him and back out he went. This morning I was surprised to find him in the house when I got up. He usually comes in and wakes me up but he was just laying in living room. I fully expected for him to not eat but when I went into kitchen it looked like he had eaten kibble overnight sometime. I tried to push more food on him but he wasn't interested so I gave him another jar of baby food. When I left an hour or so later he was laying in front yard by the hedges so I petted him. He had caught a Circada and had been playing with it. That made me feel good because if he feels good enough to do that he has improved.
Well he wouldn't eat anything yesterday afternoon/night so I attributed it to it being his 3rd. day of the App. Stim. regimen. He wouldn't eat anything this morning before I gave him his app. stimulant and antibiotic. About 30 mins. after pilling him he came back in house acting like he was hungry but wouldn't eat anything, not even baby food or cooked chicken. He went back out so I tried feeding outside but not interested. Couple of hours later he is still not interested in anything. Out of desperation I remembered I had a bag of cheap kibble from the Dollar store I had bought weeks ago trying to get him to eat. I took him a handful and he ate some. I was wondering if maybe he has a hairball stuck or is constipated so I gave him some Laxatone. I have looked all over in the house to make sure he didn't spit out the meds. this morning and I am sure he didn't. He lost about 4 oz. since yesterday. If this continues he will get to go back to the Vet.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saturday evening after not seeing Stinky since the morning he showed up about 6:15 (after lots of calling and looking). He ate a bite or 2 of kibble and waled away. Maybe I shouldn't have but I gave him 1/2 of another dose of his app. Stimulant. I skipped his evening Antibiotic has he seemed to be feeling bad. I was all prepared to take him to Vet. Sunday but he ate fairly good Sunday so I didn't take him to Vet. He spent the night in house and slept with me in bed. About 2:30 I got up to go potty and he got up and ate some kibble. I went back to bed and he went outside. I got up about 3:45 and he came in the house after a bit. He didn't want cat meat but did eat a jar of chicken baby food. About 5 he ate more kibble and some cooked chicken. Hopefully he keeps eating today. Its going to be a rough 8 or 9 days till he finished antibiotic. Vet told me we could do something different with App. stimulant but one of the choices was an every day pill. He hates getting pilled. I bought a piller and it worked good the first time but 2nd. time I tried to use it he fought me hard. I ended up just giving usual way which is with Pill Masker. I've got all my Paws crossed hoping he gets better. I have seen no vomiting or signs of diarrhea.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like things aren't necessarily going downhill because he's still eating some. Keep your head up! There is an appetite stimulant called Entyce which comes in liquid forms but I don't know its reliability. It never worked with my cat but other people told me it has with theres. It costs nothing to ask your vet what they think about it.

No vomiting or diarrhea is a great thing!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I am seeing improvement. I still shove food in his face at every chance. He's not just laying around sleeping any more and last 2-3 mornings he has gone down the street where he tries to hunt. He has acted more like himself the last couple of mornings and not been too bad about eating. He still will only eat canned meat occasionally and then not much. I'll fight that battle if the antibiotics cure this. He is maintaining weight within a few ounces so that's good. About another week to go of antibiotic.:)