Won’t Eat After Being Brought Indoors

SuzanneHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I posted a While back about a feral cat whom had adopted me. I have Decided to bring him home now that the weather has changed and the temperature hasn’t dropped below freezing. Jax has major trust issues and trapping hin and the hour long car ride to his new home has stressed him out big time.

I expected an adjustment period and have placed him in the lower level of our home where his two new sisters (a German Shepard and a ragdoll/Siamese mix) are not allowed to go. There are places for him to hide out so he feels safe yet nothing he can be hurt on. So far he only hides unless I am In the room. I’m pretty sure I’m the only safety he has ever known. I can Call him and he will slowly come out of hiding and join me for a rubbing and nap. It’s only been 24 hours so I know He will surely need time to adjust.
However, he’s not eating. Previously he would eat the second I came into work and he would eat his entire bowl and beg for more. He ate yesterday before his trip but he has not eaten since. He is drinking water and using the litter box. So I have Not gone into panic mode yet but I am Worried. Is this normal due to stress? We have a vet appointment next week, should I attempt To move the appointment up? Took me 3 weeks to get this appointment so I’m not even sure that I can. I have Tried his regular dry kibble as well as wet food. He will not eat either.

One other thing. He spooks easily, would it be benificial to keep music playing to distract him from all the noise in the upper level. He jumps a mile high when the dog barks or even walks across the floor.
Thank you for all your help!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet he'll eat tonight when the house gets dark and quiet. If he's generally in good health, his hunger should take over here pretty quickly. It is normal for a cat to not eat for a day or two in a new environment.

Have you tried feeding him a few pieces of kibble by hand (or see if he'll lick a little wet food off your finger)? My feral backyard kitty only ate half her normal amount the week of Thanksgiving. She would take pieces out of my hand and eat, but turn her nose up at a whole bowl of food. If you can get him to eat one or two bites, that might stimulate him enough to realize he's hungry.

Other things you can try are tinned fish (sardines, salmon, tuna) or a little lightly scramble egg. I've read most kitties go crazy for the meat flavored Stage-2 baby food (just meat, without any seasonings).

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's normal for a cat (or anyone) to lose their appetite in times of change, upheaval, and stress. My cat, Dudley, who is not a stray and who I've had since he was 8 weeks old, and who really doesn't have much of an excuse, only ate a minuscule amount of the tastiest delights for weeks leading up to and after I moved house recently. Give your new chum time to adjust and let his tummy settle.

Tinned tuna in spring water is usually irresistible (unless you're Dudley, that is :sigh: ), as are Temptation (or Dreamies) treats. As orange&white orange&white suggests, cats like eggs but only give him the yolk as the whites are not good for them. Most cats also like cheese.

Catnip is an appetite stimulant and also a digestive calmative, and general nerve tonic. Maybe put some in a bowl for him to nibble on or sniff up, it will likely ease his stress and calm his tummy rather than stimulate him at this time.

If he's not eaten absolutely anything for 48 hours then it's time to rush to the vet. But, if he's picking a wee bit here and there, just keep on tempting him with fresh treats every hour or so.

It's ever so lovely to hear of his rescue and that he feels safe in your company. I bet he's really excited at the prospect of his ace new life and play-pals, as well as stressed from his change of scenery ordeal.

:celebrate:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I posted a While back about a feral cat whom had adopted me. I have Decided to bring him home now that the weather has changed and the temperature hasn’t dropped below freezing. Jax has major trust issues and trapping hin and the hour long car ride to his new home has stressed him out big time.

I expected an adjustment period and have placed him in the lower level of our home where his two new sisters (a German Shepard and a ragdoll/Siamese mix) are not allowed to go. There are places for him to hide out so he feels safe yet nothing he can be hurt on. So far he only hides unless I am In the room. I’m pretty sure I’m the only safety he has ever known. I can Call him and he will slowly come out of hiding and join me for a rubbing and nap. It’s only been 24 hours so I know He will surely need time to adjust.
However, he’s not eating. Previously he would eat the second I came into work and he would eat his entire bowl and beg for more. He ate yesterday before his trip but he has not eaten since. He is drinking water and using the litter box. So I have Not gone into panic mode yet but I am Worried. Is this normal due to stress? We have a vet appointment next week, should I attempt To move the appointment up? Took me 3 weeks to get this appointment so I’m not even sure that I can. I have Tried his regular dry kibble as well as wet food. He will not eat either.

One other thing. He spooks easily, would it be benificial to keep music playing to distract him from all the noise in the upper level. He jumps a mile high when the dog barks or even walks across the floor.
Thank you for all your help!
:hellosmiley::hithere::hellocomputer:
Music to mute scary noises will definitely help. Not too loud, you want him to still be able hear what's going on. Just sitting and reading out loud and letting him come to you is good too. Blankets, shirt etc.. with the dogs, your, any other human & the other cats smell on them will help him adjust. When we first left our little ex stray Gypsy alone we always left a light and a TV on for her until she got used to the apartment's noises. (We still leave lights on for her)
You are are doing great, bless you for rescuing him. Post photos of all of you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. When I woke This morning he had eaten almost half his bowl of kibble and from what I can tell he has eaten a bit more throughout the day. Jax is still hiding out but has been coming out on his own more and more. My boyfriend thinks I am crazy but I plan to put our security camera downstairs so I can see if he is at least out of hiding when no one is around. We are expecting 6-8 inches of snow over night, I am Glad Jax is home and warm.

He just melts my heart ❤

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news! Sounds like the not eating was normal adjustment to having his whole environment change. He's starting to figure out that the "brand new" is a good thing. A very good thing. I bet he'll be bouncing around and playing in no time. :runningcat: He's one lucky kitty to have you.

SuzanneHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update on Jax. He is doing a lot better he no longer goes into hiding when I come Down the stairs. He still hides from my boyfriend but as long as I’m in the room he comes out and enjoys both of our company. I must Not have shut the door well last night, Jax found his way upstairs and joined me for some late night TV. He also met his new sister Sadie, she’s a Shepard mix. They did very well and neither minded each other at all. No hissing or swatting at all. He stayed and cuddled for about 20 mins then went to the door and cried to go back downstairs. I was Pretty shocked. Luna was in hiding as usual so they had no interaction yet.

Jax’s appetite has returned. He’s not eating what he used to. But then again he now has food available 24/7 and eats when he wants. And he’s still eating more than any cat I have Ever had.

Here is Jax meeting his sister Sadie. It went Pawtastically

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update on Jax. He is doing a lot better he no longer goes into hiding when I come Down the stairs. He still hides from my boyfriend but as long as I’m in the room he comes out and enjoys both of our company. I must Not have shut the door well last night, Jax found his way upstairs and joined me for some late night TV. He also met his new sister Sadie, she’s a Shepard mix. They did very well and neither minded each other at all. No hissing or swatting at all. He stayed and cuddled for about 20 mins then went to the door and cried to go back downstairs. I was Pretty shocked. Luna was in hiding as usual so they had no interaction yet.

Jax’s appetite has returned. He’s not eating what he used to. But then again he now has food available 24/7 and eats when he wants. And he’s still eating more than any cat I have Ever had.

Here is Jax meeting his sister Sadie. It went Pawtastically
:yess: :clap::salam::wavey::hugs: :cheerleader::clap2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. When I woke This morning he had eaten almost half his bowl of kibble and from what I can tell he has eaten a bit more throughout the day. Jax is still hiding out but has been coming out on his own more and more. My boyfriend thinks I am crazy but I plan to put our security camera downstairs so I can see if he is at least out of hiding when no one is around. We are expecting 6-8 inches of snow over night, I am Glad Jax is home and warm.

He just melts my heart ❤
:hearthrob::redheartpump: He is melting a LOT of hearts here on TCS :kiss: Thanks or inviting us along :touched:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A very special spot in my heart for feral/strays, great to read your success on bringing Jax in. He is indeed a lucky kitty, as you are lucky to have had success with him. Some weeks/months from now he'll be allowed full access, given adequate time to integrate....looks well on his way.

SuzanneHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
99909402-1BA2-4B84-939B-718209BC60C2.jpeg
Thank you all for your encouragement. Jax is adjusting amazingly. He has given in and decided that everyone in the house is safe. New noises spook him still and new people. The last two days have been a real test for him. His human siblings came home from a week with their father. He has met my daughter a few times at work. However, he had never met his drum, guitar and piano playing loud rambunctious 11yr old brother.
The child doesn’t understand stand the word quiet at all. I thought for sure Jax would be in hiding for the entire week. That’s not the case at all. Clint (my son) loves cats and obviously Jax got that vibe because within 2 hours of Clint being home I found the two of them snuggling and Jax was loving everybody moment of it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a soft spot in my heart for orange kitties (thanks to my Ruby) and Jax is no exception.
What an adorable cat. :lovecat2:
It definitely looks like he's adjusting well to his new life. :catlove: Good job. :thumbsup: