Wondering if my kitten is mixed

elmaoxd

🌻🌻🌻
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! đź‘‹

I'm a new member so I hope I am posting this in the right forum thread. I recently got a kitten, she is 5 and a half months old. She was living close to my mom's house as a stray and I decided to take her in since I have been wanting to adopt for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if she is a pure domestic cat or if there is perhaps some mix at play here, which I mainly ask because of her distinct tiger face print. I do know that she is a tortoise cat but that's about it concerning the fur pattern :) She is also very agile, slender, can jump high and run fast, if that helps! Thank you for anyone who is reading this and for your reply!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is pretty! Most cats are 'mixed' - meaning of no particular breed without pedigree papers. She would be considered a domestic short haired (DSH) cat with tortoiseshell coloring/pattern. I have a tortie myself, but she is dilute (muted colors).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elmaoxd

🌻🌻🌻
Kitten
Purraise
She is pretty! Most cats are 'mixed' - meaning of no particular breed without pedigree papers. She would be considered a domestic short haired (DSH) cat with tortoiseshell coloring/pattern. I have a tortie myself, but she is dilute (muted colors).
Thank you so much for the kind reply and your nice words :) Torties are adorable 🥰

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elmaoxd

🌻🌻🌻
Kitten
Purraise
Tortoiseshell's can have the most fascinating patterns, not only on their faces but over the whole body. It's not indicative of any particular breed.

She is gorgeous. What is her name?
That's interesting to know!!! Thank you so much ❤❤❤ And thank you for the nice words, her name is Freya!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just a question regarding breed, my humphreys breeder was selling her kittens as 'british shorthair' kittens online but when i went to visit, i noticed only the father is bsh and not the mother. I don't regret buying humphrey because he's wonderful and I love him but i just want to confirm, she was being dodgy wasn't she? You can only list cats as being a certain breed if you have pedigree papers is that right?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just a question regarding breed, my humphreys breeder was selling her kittens as 'british shorthair' kittens online but when i went to visit, i noticed only the father is bsh and not the mother. I don't regret buying humphrey because he's wonderful and I love him but i just want to confirm, she was being dodgy wasn't she? You can only list cats as being a certain breed if you have pedigree papers is that right?
Correct.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Correct. But at least in Canada, even the ones at many pet stores are dodgy.

My co-worker was duped into buying a "bengal" for $1500 that was simply a spotted tabby. (Regular tabby spots not Bengal spots).

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily here in the UK, you can list anything as whatever you’d like it to be and it’s unlikely you’d get in trouble for it. Far too many people list “Bengals” “ragdolls” and “Maine coon” kittens that are very obviously not those breeds or a mix of and neither are the parents. It’s because they want to make money off of saying they are and some people don’t know what they are buying or know anything that’s true about those breeds so they buy for the supposed breed, and wouldn’t even ask for papers since they usually aren’t aware they’re needed as proof of pedigree. It doesn’t matter if you’re not bothered about the pedigree but lots of people do buy to claim their cat is such breed.

It’s always regular tabby marked DSH’s for the bengals, any colourpoint kittens for saying they’re Ragdoll and just a DLH for saying they’re Mainecoon. You do see a fairly frequent pop up of any blue kittens being called Russian blues as well. Unfortunately most people falling for this scam then end up breeding the kitten they got and further claiming it is such breed and the kittens are a mix of.
Over here papers aren’t required to be shown upon sale of a kitten, even if requested. I have no problem with non pedigree kittens, (only one of mine is a NFC mix because of an oopsie litter and the other 3 are domestics) I just wish people would stop trying to sell a kitten as something it’s not

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody, thankfully humphrey is a dream kitty but really angry at that lady for being dodgy.