Wondering if my cat really is pregnant

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is this normal?
It was open and is now closed? If so, probably an infection. Can you get to the vet for an antibiotic eye ointment? Keep cleaning the eye with a cotton ball dipped in warm water. Do not let it get stuck closed but also do not pull at the eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I start feeding my kitten regular cat food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten's eye? Have she seen the vet yet?

What food have you been feeding, and what regular food do you mean? Wet food? Which brand?

Kittens need dry kitten chow, but can eat Fancy Feast adult classic chicken or turkey pate. In general, they need the extra nutrients in kitten food while still growing.

Last edited:

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her eye is normal now. It has open, just needed some warm water on it. & is this food okay ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am not familiar with that brand, but in general dry kitten chow is best for kittens. It has tiny pieces that are easier to eat, and special nutrients for kittens.

Do you give wet food too? If so, which brand? Kittens really need wet food.

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I haven't given her anything. She's been nursing off her mom. But I think it's time that she eats on her own.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please start with pate-style chicken or turkey flavor wet food. Pate-style because it is finely ground and soft, which is easy for kittens to eat.

Put some on your finger for her and offer it. Smear a little on her mouth to lick. Kittens also like it mixed with KMR so it's mushy. A flat plate is easier for kittens to eat from than a bowl.

She will be unable to crunch the adult food. She needs tiny pieces that come in dry kitten chow.

Can you get what I've described for her?

Most kittens begin eating solids, but still also nurse mom for many weeks. She'll start eating soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen EverPet.  It's a cheaper brand and it has cheap ingredients.  My mom used EverPet puppy food for some of her puppies and they turned out fine, but it isn't a very high quality food.  But, I understand sometimes people can only get what they can afford.

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you! I will be sure to get those brands of food for my kitten.

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The big cat is good but I'm concerned about the little one. She's not active anymore & I don't know why. She just stays in one stop just staring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clearly something is wrong. Is your kitten eating and drinking? When did this start?

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not eating. She still tries to eat from her mom. She is drinking water though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you supplement her? Does she eat wet food? She's about 6 weeks old now, right? Rub some honey on her gums for quick energy.

And can you get her to a vet?

Last edited:

dayana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was getting better! She was better. She had gain weight & was happy & running around.... Yesterday out of nowhere, she died. [emoji]128546[/emoji] I don't know what caused her death but I'm so sad. Her mom is sad too. She keeps meowing and going outside trying to find her kitten.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost the kitten.

Please, please do not let mom outside until she is spayed. Another pregnancy is really not what she needs right now.