Wondering if I should get a part time job?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was laid off late March but have been called back 6 times to work anywhere from 1-3 days, I do packing and shipping for a jewelry company that has about 36 stores all over the country so I have to wait until they are up and running and profitable again until I will be needed full time. I have gotten so much done in these past few months but now that it is hot everyday here in PA. I find myself getting bored and am entertaining the thought of getting some part time work, especially if the extra $600 that the government is giving us will run out July 25th, don't know if that will be extended or not but that will also be a factor. But I don't know what to do, I will be 60 years old late November and am still in pretty good shape, but I never thought at this age I'd be looking at this but I am. Don't know if I should get a part time job and claim the hours up to 40 that I am short, or look for another full time job to replace mine which is something that I really don't feel like doing right now, I surely hope it doesn't come down to that, or just play the wait it out game and see what happens. I know I have a LOT of company with this issue, but I am interested to see where this will lead.

I thought about seeing if any of the local vets would hire me part time but then I'd be doing all of the lousy jobs ha ha, plus run the risk of bringing home fleas and also having to witness pets being put down which I know is awful. There are other jobs around part time, but I just don't know what to do right now.

Just venting and throwing this out there I guess, any input would help, thank you!

Les

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know if I should get a part time job and claim the hours up to 40 that I am short, or look for another full time job to replace mine which is something that I really don't feel like doing right now,
Are you getting health insurance with your present company? That would be a strong determining factor for me especially with the current Covid situation. If you are still insured and think there's a good chance you may be called back full-time then I would hold off and check out another part-time job temporarily. Since you are in packing and shipping what about looking into a grocery store, home improvement store or even a resale store such as Goodwill for something part-time. Those are just a few suggestions. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you getting health insurance with your present company? That would be a strong determining factor for me especially with the current Covid situation. If you are still insured and think there's a good chance you may be called back full-time then I would hold off and check out another part-time job temporarily. Since you are in packing and shipping what about looking into a grocery store, home improvement store or even a resale store such as Goodwill for something part-time. Those are just a few suggestions. Best of luck!
No I have to pay for my health benefits so that isn't a big draw.

I stopped in today to see a woman that I worked with just to say hello, we haven't worked together since late March, and we talked about things and basically we all agree "nobody knows" where this is going. I talked to her husband outside as I was leaving and he was picking her up, and he said he thought I should just "stay put" for now and ride it out. But I'm going to continue to check things out, but so far nothing I have seen out there has made me say "wow, I'd really like that!"

Time will tell I guess.....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an interview with a Center for Vision Loss for a part time driver today, it went great and what we came up with was I could try it first as a volunteer and see if I like it, if I don't there won't be any hard feelings or harm done, if I do they'd hire me part time so that's what we are going to do. I can't sit around waiting to see if I will be called back or not, I need something else to do even though I am still collecting. They say they are taking the extra money away July 25th, then they say they are extending it, who knows, but this way I'd at least have some extra money coming in and would have my foot in the door and it might lead to other opportunities that I never thought I'd explore.

But the only way to make something happen is for me to make it happen so here we go!! I said if I wasn't back full time by 7/25 I'd check out part time work and I'm sticking to it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like it could be a good position. My FIL just re-retired last year. He was close to retirement age when his company closed his location; so he wasn't willing to move (to a city with a high cost of living) but also not quite ready to be retired. He was an accountant; but being basically retirement age he didn't want to find a position in accounting again. He worked for a few other places before he eventually found a position driving for a medical transport company. He seemed to like it and ended up doing that for several years before retiring again.

My neighbor is single and lives alone. I was chatting with her the other day and she said she had taken a part time job just to make a little extra and have something to do on the weekends. She's been saving for a new fence for her dogs and since everything else is off limits; she figured why not. :)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try it twice as a volunteer to see if I like it before I tell them I'll take the job part time, that way there is no issues if I don't take it which I thought was a great idea. 8/3 and 8/6 I will give it a try, I think I should know after a few times.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I did this job today and it was wonderful, I drove a lady who still has some sight left but cannot drive and she was wonderful, we had some nice conversations as they said I would and everything went fine, only 1 hiccup when I didn't turn onto a road that didn't have any street sign on it :angryfire: but I quickly realized it and just took an alternate route, we got there on time and back home again. Thursday will be the real test as I will drive a lady who is totally blind, but I'll just keep my head, be polite and helpful and be careful driving and we'll be fine, and if that goes well I think I'll tell them I'll go paid part time, who knows when I'll be back to my "real" job if ever?!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is a perfect opportunity for you. Not only will you have some extra income but you'll be helping people at the same time. Sounds like a win-win to me! :thumbsup:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This second job today went fine, no issues, this lady was totally blind and had a better outlook and attitude than 98% of people that I know, it really makes me look at things much differently! They gave me a mock schedule for August if I would decide to take the paid part time job and it looks like they will keep me pretty busy! And who knows where this could lead, it might work well enough and they might like me well enough that they make it full time so I am just going to think on it 1 more day and most likely take it, my "real" job is dead, no work right now, no calls, no communication at all so I need something to do, and if they do call me for short projects it will have to work around this driver's job, and by some miracle if they call me back full time I will have a decision to make, but at least I am being proactive and doing something about it to help my situation, I doubt many if any others at my job are doing that but I'm taking care of myself.

But so far so good, I am learning a lot from these people as they said I would!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think you were in the right place at the right time! This part-time job was meant for someone as thoughtful and caring as you. 🤗

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped in at my "real" job today and talked to the few people left there and our computer guy told me that he is now on layoff too and they are saying they are looking at "the end of the year" to try to open back up, ha....so I went straight to the vision loss center and told them "put me on the payroll, I'll take the part time job" and they were so happy! I am a bit confused why my job didn't have the courtesy to let us know their decision, had I not stopped in I would've never known, and I know this isn't something that they are proud of happening but it would be nice to be included in on things. But I am so glad that I saw that little old fashioned want ad weeks ago, at least I have my foot in the door there and they seem like they will load me up with as much work as they can which is okay by me. I'll have to tell my job that I am working part time as they will see that coming through on my unemployment claims, plus I'll tell them that I am still available for short projects like I had been doing but that doesn't seem like it will be happening based on what I heard and saw today, who knows if we'll even survive?