Wondering About Genetics

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi! i’m not a breeder or anything, but i’ve noticed a lot of cats with the same pattern - white, with calico/tabby slpotches on the head and only on the left flank/hip area.
i’m curious if anyone knows why. it’s definitely from family genetics because none of the cats are related at all.
in the picture, that’s my cat, but i’ve seen others with that exact marking too.

just wondering :ruminating:

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's called a Van pattern, with coloring on the head and tail, and sometimes a few splotches on the body. It must be a common gene among the cats in your area. I don't know why they only have the coloring on the left side, though, lol. That's probably just coincidence.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Van coloring- my cat is the same! Spot on her head, tail and 3 spots on her (one on her left flank too, lol)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems to be a fairly strong gene / gene combination Its not unusual a barn cat with van pattern gets a whole litter of van patterned kittens... Or at least, tuxedo ones.
Normally it would hint a purebred cat. But she is a moggie with miles to go to come to nearest pedigree certificate, and everything is done all be herself... The tom being a random one.

Of course, the white spot gene is one of the strongest, very dominant.