sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is coming from a holistic vet who is found in our guest forums

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Knowle...75&click=73833
Vaccination Overview

by Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM

You probably get a postcard or email from your veterinarian at least once a year recommending an annual examination, and one or more vaccines. While it is important to have your pet seen by a vet regularly, many commonly used vaccines are unnecessary, and possibly harmful.

Vaccinations can help prevent serious illnesses, but they stress the immune system, can cause serious adverse reactions, and may contribute to long-term chronic diseases. The decision about vaccinations depends on your pet’s individual lifestyle, risks, and needs—and it is always your decision, not your vet’s.

The bottom line

Vaccination is a medical procedure with risks and benefits. Ask your veterinarian about the purpose of every recommended vaccine. Ask specifically why your pet should receive it—based on current health status, lifestyle, history, and risk factors. Make sure you understand and agree that each vaccine is justified. Don’t let anyone—including friends, neighbors, kennels, veterinarians, technicians, or Internet “experts”—bully you into complying with their outdated or inflexible ideas. And don’t fall for the “money-saving” idea of vaccinating your pet at home with products bought online. Unlike your veterinarian, online sellers won’t be there to support you if your pet suffers an adverse reaction.

As much as we all love animals, nobody cares about your pet as much as you do—so it’s up to you to do the right thing!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't thought about asthma before, but it makes sense with it being so immune regulated. I'm sure bronchitis falls under the same category of caution. With their health how it is I will say now that the kittens won't be getting their boosters in October, maybe December or the first of the year - maybe.

I had considered allergies, and maybe I'm a bad pet owner for this, but I only got Siri vaccinated for rabies last year when I took her in. She was still reacting to the bug bites and I worried about making her worse. (she was yanking out fur and causing finger tip sized sores at the time, so I doubt anyone can really blame me for worrying)

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is interesting. I have a cat that was just recently diagnosed with asthma and he hasn't finished his initial round of vaccinations yet. I'll have to talk to my vet to see what he thinks about this. Thanks for posting the article.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fantastic, thanks for posting this! The more people informed of the risks vs. benefits of vaccinating, the better to make choices based on the individual kitty,
(i.e., indoor only? indoor/outdoor cat? outdoor only?) I have 3 indoor only babies, I in 10 years of living with 2 of them, have not vaccinated after the initial adoption..even for rabies, and I know this is a hot button topic, but, no thank you, for me and my indoors only, the risks totally outweigh the benefits, but I do know, for others, this would not be an option for them, but to present both sides of an issue I thank you for, and I hope that eventually more mainstream vets will learn too of this, and push aside the money making aspect of vaccines

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had spike get a rabies vaccine, the three year regular kind 4 days ago. Should I be worried? I think he might be drinking more water. What does a bad reaction look like? IT was the first one he has had since kittenhood, and he is 7 now. I plan on getting his teeth cleaned in a few months, and they will do blood work then.
any input?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I just had spike get a rabies vaccine, the three year regular kind 4 days ago. Should I be worried? I think he might be drinking more water. What does a bad reaction look like? IT was the first one he has had since kittenhood, and he is 7 now. I plan on getting his teeth cleaned in a few months, and they will do blood work then.
any input?
When in doubt call the vet