Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Woman Has Dog Killed And Buried With Her- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by foxxycat, May 23, 2019.

1. goingpostal

goingpostal TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 11, 2011
    MN
    We don't know the full story. I can understand someone not wanting to risk their pet ending up in a shelter, being pts by strangers after days/weeks/? in a very stressful environment. We don't know if the dog had health or temperament issues. Thinking about possibilities like this and having a plan is important when you have pets, who do you know you could turn your animals over to right now, that would take equal quality care for them forever? My dogs would have no place to go but the shelter and for two senior pit bulls used to the couch life, I would choose quick death. Ultimately this dog had a home with an owner who cared for it for and and a peaceful end and that is not a bad life at all.

catsknowme and Kflowers purraised this.

2. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    I've been working at a no-kill shelter for the past 4 1/2 years, and we've taken in a lot of pets whose owners have died or been forced to move into nursing homes. For the most part, the dogs and cats have been over the age of ten. All of them have found new homes. For some, it meant weeks at the shelter, while others with health and/or behavioral problems spent up to a year, but they certainly weren't condemned to spend the rest of their lives at the shelter. I can only come up with one exception, a 16-year-old cat with such severe kidney problems that she wasn't cleared for adoption. She died about a year after being surrendered.

Just about any pet suffers emotionally to some extent after being surrendered, but it's not a given that the older ones suffer more than younger, more active adults. It's also not a given that they're unadoptable. Plenty of people who've got a senior pet at home that's mourning the loss of a pet companion specifically look for a pet that's close in age. Senior citizens are also likely to seek older pets that are less likely to outlive them. There are also people who adopt or foster the most needy pets available.

Isn't that better than euthanizing?

foxxycat, marmoset, maggiedemi and 1 other person purraised this.

3. Leomc123

Leomc123 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Oct 1, 2018
    yeah but this woman had family who was able to look after the dog if they werent so selfish.

foxxycat, catsknowme, muffy and 1 other person purraised this.

4. Leomc123

Leomc123 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Oct 1, 2018
    i agree anything else is better than being killed off.

foxxycat, muffy, di and bob and 1 other person purraised this.

5. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    I think it's a selfish act. The dog was perfectly healthy and happy, I could understand if the dog was ill as well though it's not fair to cut short a happy canine life for a human's benefit. The dog didn't ask to be killed and I know that if I were to die before my cats, I'd find more comfort in knowing they would have a happy and fulfilled life after me.

foxxycat, maggiedemi and muffy purraised this.

6. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    @jcat: oh, how I wish that things were better in the inland counties of CA & NV or in GA or southeastern KY or IN or AR!! ....those are just some of the areas where I have visited all manner of animal shelters aka dog pounds (when I travel, I prioritize a visit to shelter animals over tourist attractions). The odds in Nevada for a dog entering the system say in Reno or Douglas County versus Hawthorne or Lyon County are similar to comparing San Diego to San Bernardino or San Francisco to Fresno. And it is even bleaker for cats :(
    In fact, the "cat railroads" often bypass those interior areas because of lack of volunteer drivers and cats are forced to travel many hours and hundreds of miles in extra travel.
    These sober facts and my personal experiences are what form my rather unpopular opinion on the matter.
    I would LOVE to see that as a result of this story, dog adoptions from the shelters everywhere have skyrocketed - that EVERY person dismayed or outraged has either adopted another shelter pet themselves or converts emotion into action by volunteering to reduce animal abuse & euthanasia. :soldier::rockout::salute:

I found this article that says something similar:
    The Puzzling Geography of Animal Shelter Dog Euthanasia

muffy purraised this.

7. marmoset

marmoset TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 1, 2015
    NJ
    I work at a no-kill cat shelter. I've been there around 4 years and I agree completely with this.

It's important to have a plan for pets in the case of owner death. It's fine to go with family if the family member(s) will care for them and love them and treat them like family. Another route is the shelter system. If your pet was adopted from a smaller non-profit or rescue group they should take the animal back and work very hard to find it a new home. And there are people looking for older animals, some very good owners are older adults looking to adopt not so young pets and these owners IME are very very good with medical visits, special needs, patience etc as long as they aren't getting an animal that is more physically demanding than they can physically or financially manage.

The ancient Egyptians used to kill cats for burial with people. It was so popular that they would have cat mummies that only contained a tiny piece of cat bone for the poor to be buried with. So this has been going on for a very long time.

foxxycat and catsknowme purraised this.

8. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I can't disagree with you. Our dog never got over my DH's passing. She waited for him by the door or in the hallway near the door for over a year. The only time she wasn't there was if she was eating or out back using the facilities. She was very depressed and wanted to be with him. She's with him now and likely much, much happier.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    foxxycat, catsknowme and muffy purraised this.