Wiping his butt on my carpet

stevie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay - I'm the foster mom to a cat named Max. Am attempting to try to place him in a new home right now, and I've had him for about 2 months so far. (It's been a roller coaster, but my youngest won't accept him - 2 males in the house is not working out). Last week, I noticed a small little bit of poop at the end of the hall, and I figured that one of my three got some caught on their back haunches, so I cleaned it up and didn't think any more of it. On Monday night, I got home and found that Max (gotta be the new one) had deposited a full load at the end of the hall in the same spot. This morning, I found Max walking his butt across my carpet, using it as toilet paper, basically, trying to clean his butt. Please note that I clean their boxes on a daily basis (I have 3 boxes) and when I went in this morning, there were no loose stools. Do you think it's a behavioral thing because he muight be upset? Or a physical problem? He shouldn't have worms and I did check the stools for that too but there is no sign...Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He probably does have worms, unless they are at full adult stage you won't see them in the fecal matter. He could have another health issue, or need his anal glands expressed. Either way, a vet visit is in order so your vet can check this out.

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Hissy. Scooting the butt across carpet is a common symptom of impacted anal glands. Yup, time to call the vet.