Winter sleeping box w/ space blanket?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What with the thread about sweaters for cats, has anybody made up a sleeping box for their cats, lined with one of those Mylar space blankets? Seems the cats would like it, as the blanket is highly reflective of body heat. The combination of a corrugated cardboard box with a warm place to hang out would seem to be good for the winter.

I wonder if the Mylar would be an attractive nuisance though. I have one that's drawn to chewing up plastic, especially noisy, crinkly stuff.

Anybody ever tried this?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They actually make self heating (as in the animal heats them with their own body heat ;) ) cat and dog beds, as well as little cat houses, that you can buy out of those reflective blanket material. The reflective material is between layers of fabric sewn together. I don't see why you couldn't make a DIY version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that on the "sweater" post. I think I'll try one of those!

Thanx!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I had a stray feral black cat, I built him a wooden box with an opening on both ends so he would not be trapped in. I couldn't bring him in (he was too wild)I stuffed it with straw for him. His name was Max. My ex scared him away one night and I never saw him again....But, he did like his warm box while it lasted. I used to feed him on the porch and I got to where I could sit beside him while he ate. He even let me pet him altho he would nip at me sometimes. After he ate, he would sit beside me on the steps for a while. I miss him. Been a long time....I was making progress with him but, my ex didn't like me dealing with him (how did I end up with such a person? Thankfully she is gone now. She was not a cat person)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually make self heating (as in the animal heats them with their own body heat ;)) cat and dog beds, as well as little cat houses, that you can buy out of those reflective blanket material. The reflective material is between layers of fabric sewn together. I don't see why you couldn't make a DIY version.
I read that on the "sweater" post. I think I'll try one of those!

Thanx!
I have one that's drawn to chewing up plastic, especially noisy, crinkly stuff.
Yeah, I'd definitely keep the mylar or space blankie sewn within a cushion or mat, if you make your own. That stuff can wreak havoc on a kitty's insides if eaten - not good!
They are great for warming a cat and reflecting their body heat, though ☀

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For inside cats, I like a box I get at Costco or Sam's Club for free (the ones used to hold salads are the best size/shape), with a folded-up throw inside. The plush/minky kind of throws, that cost around $10-$15. I don't think the space blanket lining is necessary. Cheaper than a cat bed, easier to wash/replace, and cats like the high sides. I suppose if it didn't look classy enough for some homes, the box could be covered in fabric or Contact paper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got one of those cat sleep mats with the Mylar sewn inside. Cats won't lay on it, although they like the tags and drag the mat around the room by the hanging loop on one end. Will see how they do once the novelty wears off, but I'm not holding my breath. Cats!!

At least it wasn't that expensive...