Winter Itch/Rash

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get what some call Winter Itch or Winter Rash, but only on my forearms, wrists and a bit on the back of my hands. I'm going to lean more on using the term "rash" though as mine does NOT itch...it burns like a mother! It only happens when there is a sudden drop in temperature, then eventually evens out but at the next drastic flucuation...it shows up again. My skin first looks like red blotchy dots, then if it worsens, you can actually see the redness areas are raised/inflamed, then it does feel a little dry, but it doesn't get flaky. Pretty well all creams I have tried only make it burn even more, the only thing I have found to help is using castor oil, but I can't use that all the time. Castor oil is very thick and sticky, and creates a protective layer on my skin, which is great for bed time, but I can't do anything with messy, sticky, oil all over my arms and hands without leaving marks and staining stuff if I go about my day.
To any of you who get winter rash and are sensitive to products, do you know of any brands of creams that will not cause burning when applied to inflamed skin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried the Aveeno, and it burns when I apply it. :(

Unfortunately, I have no idea what chemical or product that is in most creams/moisturizers that makes my skin burn more...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might be worth consulting a dermatologist.

Have you tried cocoa butter? Or coconut oil? My kids did well with calendula creams but the best was expensive and they changed the formula. (California Baby)

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To see a dermatologist is over a years waiting list in my area...unless you have skin cancer or something...or if you're willing to pay for it...which I'm not.
I haven't tried pure cocoa butter, only creams that contain it...might be worth a shot. Coconut oil gives me hives. I'm going to look into calendula creams and see if I can find something that doesn't have "regular cream ingredients".

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I have thought of trying is baby butt rash cream...I'm sure there are limited ingredients in it that would hopefully not cause the skin to burn more on application...who would make a cream that could add more discomfort to a babies chapped bottom?!?!
Anyone here have a good recommendation on butt rash cream? lol!

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a genetic disorder which includes something called mast cell activation. I basically have a multitude of allergy-like reactions to the world, including skin reactions. About a year ago I met a lady online that owns a goat farm and makes wonderful goat milk soaps from the fresh raw milk and essential oils. Two of the essential oils she uses have mast cell stabilizing properties - frankincense and lavender. I love the scent of both, though frankincense is my absolute favorite. My skin hasn't broken out once since I started using it. The entire ingredients of the frankincense soap are: Organic Castor Oil, Raw Goat Milk, Organic Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Frankincense Essential Oil. It's expensive but worth it to me.
Check the soap ingredients list you're using for sodium lauryl sulfate (sometimes listed as SLS), salicylic acid and/or salicylates. All are known to cause skin reactions.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was many years ago when my son was young and had eczema. A dermatologist recommended Cetaphil. He still has issues in the winter if it is a particularly cold winter and he still uses it.

• Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a genetic disorder which includes something called mast cell activation
I've actually done some research into Mast Cell Activation Syndrome because of some of the weird stuff I react to...hope you've found a way to keep your reactions in check.
When it comes to finding a cream specifically for my winter rash, I'm perfectly fine using most creams at any other time of year, it's just when the rash is there and inflamed that putting creams on burn SO BAD.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to a great many skin products and break out like you described with blisters and a terrible burning itch. If the product gets on my skin it can transfer like poison ivy, from one place to another and from skin to clothing. I have pretty much narrowed it down to products containing Almond oil.

Whatever It is washing seems to only spread it and not remove the oil. During the worst of my breakouts I have had to throw away all of my underwear and some pieces of other clothing to finally contain and end it. So I am wondering if there might be something you have gotten on a piece of clothing you wear in colder weather ? I would try buying a few new shirts and try those in place of what you usually wear to see if that helps at all, or a new silk or cotton long sleeve shirt to wear under your clothes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I am wondering if there might be something you have gotten on a piece of clothing you wear in colder weather ?
It's the actual drop in temperature that brings it on. I can be wearing a short sleeve shirt and as the cold and dry air sets in I can actually watch the changes in my skin as the day progresses, regardless of what I'm doing. As for creams and oils. If they burn when I apply them...they don't make the rash worse...they make my rash burn/sting more...so I'm wondering if there are any other creams that don't burn irritated skin like when I use the castor oil. That one doesn't make the burning/stinging worse...but it's sticky and messy for all day wear.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a suggestion that sounds weird, but hear me out. I am allergic to drops in temperature, too, but I develop hay fever. The severity of the hay fever depends on how badly I was chilled. In any case, an antihistamine clears this up. In the daytime, I take Claritin because it's nondrowsy and Benadryl at night because it is. Have you tried anything for allergies? There are antihistamine creams, too. Maybe they are worth trying.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take allergy meds regularly already...and that's not weird suggestion. Most of my allergic skin reactions are from friction and heat, so I know all too well about having to take a "hit" of antihistamine after breaking out into hives for some stupid reason.:rolleyes3:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should have mentioned goats milk soaps before too. DD used to get these patches on her legs that were sometimes itchy sometimes not. I found a goats milk soap with calendula and it cleared it up! She bathed with only that for years till puberty hit and it seems shes healed whatever caused it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing I have thought of trying is baby butt rash cream...I'm sure there are limited ingredients in it that would hopefully not cause the skin to burn more on application...who would make a cream that could add more discomfort to a babies chapped bottom?!?!
Anyone here have a good recommendation on butt rash cream? lol!
My all time favorite butt rash cream (LOL!) is Aveeno baby. I had horrible rashes on my hands/arms from winter dryness and one of my customers swore by it. I bought a tube and the cream was very thick but wasn't oily (this was 15+ years ago, so IDK if it's changed or not.) I don't break out as much anymore but for general skin care, vitamin E oil is my go to and I avoid scented soaps or harsh products like the plague.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take allergy meds regularly already...and that's not weird suggestion. Most of my allergic skin reactions are from friction and heat, so I know all too well about having to take a "hit" of antihistamine after breaking out into hives for some stupid reason.:rolleyes3:
You've been under a lot of stress. Do you think that has anything to do with it? I broke out in full body hives randomly during my teen years, and it was nothing but stress. Sucks. :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've been under a lot of stress. Do you think that has anything to do with it? I broke out in full body hives randomly during my teen years, and it was nothing but stress. Sucks.
Honestly....there's been so much going on over the last 4-5 years...it just never ends. However, the allergies have been a life long thing, and the winter rash, also started before all the hoopla....I think my skin might just be aging a bit and more susceptible to dryness, that, and the amount of hand/arm washing I have to do for work...I'm in health care.
Granted, stress I'm sure plays a huge factor in making things worse...but I'm working on all that, so I'm hopeful my body will calm down soon.
Funny story...I remember when I was about 10, I was playing neighborhood hide and go seek with all my neighbor friends. Basically we would use the back yards of about 6 connecting neighbors and I had the "brilliant" idea to hide in a cedar hedge. Didn't know how allergic I was to cedar until that day. I had huge hive welts all over my body where any of the branches scratched or brushed against me, my eyes and mouth were swollen, my nose and eyes were running...I was a mess and had to go home. Note to self...never hide in a hedge again. :lol:

I think I'm going to try a diaper cream next and see if it burns or not.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly....there's been so much going on over the last 4-5 years...it just never ends. However, the allergies have been a life long thing, and the winter rash, also started before all the hoopla....I think my skin might just be aging a bit and more susceptible to dryness, that, and the amount of hand/arm washing I have to do for work...I'm in health care.
Granted, stress I'm sure plays a huge factor in making things worse...but I'm working on all that, so I'm hopeful my body will calm down soon.
Funny story...I remember when I was about 10, I was playing neighborhood hide and go seek with all my neighbor friends. Basically we would use the back yards of about 6 connecting neighbors and I had the "brilliant" idea to hide in a cedar hedge. Didn't know how allergic I was to cedar until that day. I had huge hive welts all over my body where any of the branches scratched or brushed against me, my eyes and mouth were swollen, my nose and eyes were running...I was a mess and had to go home. Note to self...never hide in a hedge again. :lol:

I think I'm going to try a diaper cream next and see if it burns or not.
Let us know if it helps! The stuff I used really did help, I put it on like a paste an hour before bed and then patted the residue dry and slept with it like that. It was a game changer!

• Purraise