Windows - Spring/Summer solutions

andy gren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya,

As the prospect of Spring slowly approaches I need some ideas for what to do about windows and an ultra curious kitten. I live in an apartment on the 1st floor so kitty escaping is a possibility I don't wish to imagine, but I would ideally not live in an airless sweaty box for 6 months until winter.

Window mesh.coverings, locks that only allow windows open a crack. Does anyone use or know of wonder products or solutions? Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
This depends on how do-it-yourself you want to go. You need it sturdy so that as the kitten grows, it can handle being possibly slammed into and pushed if the kitten sees something totally entrancing outside, and that definitely will stay in place when the cat stretches itself to its full length up the screen .. ..

Typing in diy window screen, I saw a wide variety of options on my search engine.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might be quite a silly suggestion, but are you familiar with wire shelving that is typically sold for closet storage systems?

If you were able to source this from a home improvement store near you and cut it to the right length, could it run across the open window and be affixed to each side of the window molding?

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the double post, just remembered another thing.

Adjustable Window Screen Insert <-- This is a product I use in one of my apartment windows that didn't come with a screen. On its own it's on the flimsy side so I definitely recommend reinforcing it.