Window Sills Safe With Window Open?

Tiggeray2525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After not having cats for a few years we were finally able to get two fur babies. They are from two different litters but both are about 5 months now. Our previous cats never cared about the window sills but both these babies are drawn to them, especially Izzy. I had let her up there the first day we got the them in July but after that we’d stopped letting her up there, worried it may not be safe. Once they are up there during hyper times they also attack my curtains. We have an older home, windows are on second floor and while we had screens in our windows, with them being such hyper babies we are worried the screens could come out and they could get hurt. We try to direct them to the cat tree we have for them in the living room right in front of the window but when I am in my room they want to be there too.

Are we worried over nothing?
Izzy is the orange baby, Ella is the dark one, sharing the top bed in cat tree.
EECD7267-0F4C-4217-8BD8-10EEE5A751FA.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats have all learnt how to pull the screens open and they've clawed right through them in the past. I'd say it's only a matter of time before Izzy and Ella work out how to get out the window.

You can get pet proof screens. If you want to leave the windows open maybe you could replace the old screens with these?

There are lots of different pet proof screens available. I think Home Depo stock them too.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely good to be cautious about windows. Olive has managed to pop out 3 separate screens (all anchored in different ways, but also a bit loose) and once she wiggled her butt out of an unscreened window that opens with glass slats (looks like blinds) - we would have never expected she would fit. So definitely exercise caution.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of my cats lean against window screens and they pop out under the weight from time to time. However my house is single story so they just end up surprised, but safe on the grass outside. If they were second story windows I would either get a different screen system or not open the window enough to let the in them. As mentioned they do make tougher screens meant for pets which are less likely to be shredded, but they also make safety window screens. You change out the pop-out screen frame for one that actually bolts into the window, they are designed to prevent (human) kids from falling out windows, so they should work well for cats too ;). If worse comes to worse you can get metal grating/bars that fits in window it's ugly IMO, but the cats can't get past and you can have the window open.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually only open my windows an inch or two at the bottom and then pull down the top for air. At my mother's house we never had issues with the screens popping out. But I've never been comfortable with the idea of it for my own crew. They are a bit larger and we live in a different area. An alternative might be adding window perches so they aren't leaning on the screen directly much. If you can open windows like I do; that would be a really good compromise.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At a big box store you can get an adjustable sliding screen to add to your current screen. I usually just tape them in so I can remove for the winter.

Very cute kitties !!! Worrying keeps them safe...

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
many years ago, HK went running around the room of our second story apartment, literally bouncing off the walls. he hit a window screen, it opened and he flew out the window! we found him hiding and freaked out but luckily unhurt, but unless you have extra strong screens with extra strong fasteners, i wouldn't count on them.