Will this kitty keep their fluffy tail?

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am potentially adopting a little orange tabby and I had my heart set on a medium hair kitty. The kind where the tail is really fluffy and the body smooth or not incredibly long hair on the body like you'd see with a maine coon or a persian.

- But this kitty has me stumped. His tail is very fluffy but his body is VERY short. He has absolutely no mane and no ear or toe tufts. Is this a medium hair cat's gangly teenage phase? haha. He’s 21 weeks old. Do you think he will lose his fluffy tail?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

Isn't it so odd though? To have such a big beautiful fluffy tail but then such short hair on the body.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You may be seeing his summer coat. Many longhair cats shed a lot of the longer fur in warm weather and it grows back in winter. I don't think you're going to lose that floofy tail.

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He will keep the tail. I think it is just his age and he will grow longer hair as his adult coat grows in. It seems to me that around 5 and 6 months that the shorter long haired kittens that people call medium hair seem to have shorter hair because the kitten fluff is gone but the adult coat has not really grown in yet either. All 3 of my kittens are 5 or 6ish months and they all have thick tails with long hairs, toe fluff or long ear furnishings but their hair looks pretty short otherwise.

I would be interested to what they look like a little down the line as the adult coat comes in more.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am potentially adopting a little orange tabby and I had my heart set on a medium hair kitty. The kind where the tail is really fluffy and the body smooth or not incredibly long hair on the body like you'd see with a maine coon or a persian.

- But this kitty has me stumped. His tail is very fluffy but his body is VERY short. He has absolutely no mane and no ear or toe tufts. Is this a medium hair cat's gangly teenage phase? haha. He’s 21 weeks old. Do you think he will lose his fluffy tail?
Wow this is so intriguing... If it weren't for the tail I would have thought that he's a short haired kitty.
Do you know what his parents are like?

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow this is so intriguing... If it weren't for the tail I would have thought that he's a short haired kitty.
Do you know what his parents are like?
Right?!
I'll have to ask, I know they know the mom and the brother is a little bit fuzzier than he is. They said when they first came in, they were just giant orange puff balls.

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I couldn't remember my old login haha but I guess my google on my computer did. HAHA just realized I'm messaging from another account. 😂😂

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your crew is so cute!! So you got them all pretty close together!? Or are they siblings?
They are rescue kittens. I got the first kitten who was the black one at around 13 weeks. I planned on getting two around the same age since kittens do better in pairs. A little over 2 weeks later I got the tabby and white when he was around 12 weeks. I was going to get a different kitten but that one was going to be a long wait because he was not putting on weight and they told me about the tabby and white before he was listed.

After that I started fostering for the rescue. I fostered two kittens about the same age as the black one and ended up foster failing with one of the kittens who is the mostly white one. So they are all close in age but not related.

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brought him home and so these can measure his fluffiness. It's summer and he's 5 1/2 months old at this point.
I'll post more as he gets older!
(I apologize for the booty pic. It just shows his tail fluff the best.)
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.46.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.47.11 AM.png

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on his hair growth! The photos I've attached are of his summer coat which is shorter than during December/January but still much fluffier than in his kitten photos.
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.15.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.15.49 AM.png Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.15.56 AM.png Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.16.02 AM.png Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.16.09 AM.png