Will she medium haired?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! What a cute kitten :>
I'd describe your kitty as a silver mackerel tabby shorthair with high white. It's possible her fur will grow out more as she ages, but with its length and her current age, her being a shorthair is most likely, imo, though she may have a more plush/thick coat than average. It's hard to say for certain with how young she is.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute kitten!

I would describe her as a brown mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. Mackerel refers to the tabby pattern with parallel vertical stripes, similar to a mackerel fish. Even though she has a lot of white covering up her tabby pattern, we can see enough of the tabby pattern on her left side to see these parallel stripes.

I think she'll probably be shorthaired as an adult, since she doesn't have a fluffy tail. Kittens often go through a stage where they have long hairs sticking out, making the appearance of an "aura" or "halo" as you can see lit up by the sunlight in your last picture. Some people think that kittens at this age look a little bit like fuzzy baby chicks that are starting to get adult feathers :) These longer hairs will get thicker and will eventually become her adult coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find all this really interesting. This is dad so i was wondering if she was going to be slightly longer haired like him but i guess she got mums coat

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Long hair is a recessive gene, so unless mom carries a copy of the longhair gene (such as from a parent or grandparent), any kittens she would've had with this tom are going to be shorthaired.

Is her dad a Maine Coon that got out for an accidental breeding, out of curiosity? His ears are a bit strangely shaped for it, but he does seem to have a lot of hallmarks of the breed, imo.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not entirely sure how they came to have kittens (the obvious aside!)

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your baby is adorable!!! Out of curiosity did the people you got your baby from give you the pic of the supposed dad? That pic seems to be from a Maine Coon breeder located in Kansas.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes thats the pic i got given 😳😳😳 so its not the dad at all then

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T TingaTinga did you buy your kitten from an ad on a website somewhere? People sometimes grab pictures from catteries online, and claim that the pictures are the parents of their kittens. Sometimes people also grab breeders' pictures of kittens, and claim that they have those kittens for sale... sometimes these people don't have any kittens for sale at all, and are just out to scam you. But you already have the kitten, so at least that kind of scam didn't happen to you :)

At this point I wouldn't worry about the dad not being the one in the picture. Most people don't know much about their kittens' dads (or even both parents). Enjoy your kitten for her own unique qualities. She's a lovely kitten.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a word of mouth kind of ad. The lady selling them lived right by my nan who heard about them so told me. Yes ive heard of people handing over deposits or even the whole amount when there was never any kittens to begin with.
Yes, like u said, thankfully we got our kitten and shes a very sweet little thing