Will she be okay?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m writing this post because I’m a little worried, and I need to get it off my chest.

This morning, I was at my fiancé’s house. Our kitten, Smoothie always lays at the foot of the bed. For some reason, my alarm did not go off on my phone. I wake up to my mom calling me. It was 4:35 am and my dad gets off work at 5 am. I’m 30 minutes away from his work, and we just got our first snow last night. My first thought was immediately, “oh, crap.” I sat up, answered the phone, turned around quickly, and sat down near the foot of the bed. As soon as I sat down I felt something and heard a meow. I sat on our 5 month old kitten! I shot up as soon as I knew it, and she jumped off the bed.

After I got off the phone with my mom, I looked at her and she looked fine. She was laying down, licking her side, and then looked at me. I had no time to wait around, I had to leave my fiancé’s house very quickly. After I left, I called him and he said she was fine, still laying on the floor. Here are my concerns.

My fiancé went right back to sleep after I left, and will stay asleep until about 12 pm because he has work. I will have no way of knowing if she is really okay until that time unless I go visit him again in 2 hours after I drop my mom off for work. If I do go in 2 hours, I will not be able to tell my mom because she will be beyond mad that I’m making another trip.

I can’t fully remember if I sat down all the way or not, or how I even sat. I’m trying to remember if I sat down with my legs out or if my knees were bent. I can’t remember though. I do think I sat on the lower half of her body, but I’m completely unsure. It all happened so fast. She didn’t meow super loud when it happened, it was just a regular small meow. The reason I didn’t see her was that the room was completely black. There were no lights on at all, and I didn’t even think of feeling around for her.

My question is: do you think she will be okay? I need an ease of mind right now. I will not be going back to sleep, (got three hours of sleep at fiancé’s house) and have decided that when I do drop my mom off, I will go back up there to check on her.

This kitten is the offspring of my late cat, Milkshake, who passed away tragically after my dad accidentally ran him over. If I were to seriously hurt or kill Smoothie, I would not cope with it very well. I consider her my baby. I am so mad that my alarm did not go off.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper often sleeps in my spot on the bed and, when I come in to go to sleep, I can’t see him in the dark. There have been a couple of times when I accidentally laid on him.

He just scampers off the bed but usually comes back to bed in ten minutes or so, none the worse for the wear.

Unless you sat on your kitten, full force, with all your weight, I doubt that you did more than ruffle her fur.

I can imagine that, once she saw a human’s big butt barreling down on her, she scampered out of the way, post haste. ;) ;) ;)

Like Casper, I think it was her pride that got hurt more than anything else.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mattress itself should allow for some cushioning, it could have been worse setting on the kitten against a hard surface. If you are extremely worried, go back in the two hours, I know I would. If the two hours is close enough to noon, wait until then and call your fiance. Have him actually get her up and walk around, see if she will eat something, that is the only way to see if she is OK.
Getting only three hours of sleep most likely had something to do with it too, you cannot function properly on that much sleep, and accidents will happen, your reactions are slowed down. I have one of those Himalayan salt lamps by my bed that clean the air, and I turn it on at night to provide a glow so I can see if I need to get up. you might consider a small glow in the room. I pray everything is alright, cats are really tougher then you think.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with the above members. If she just let out a small meow my guess is she was startled. If she jumped off the bed without any difficulty, is walking normal, using the litter box and eating she should be okay. Definitely monitor her behavior and maybe double check your alarm tonight. 😉

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I just thought about...

Mother cats often sit, lay or roll over on their babies. Kittens and even adult cats often just “pile on” each other, too.

I don’t think that accidentally sitting on your cat is much of a big deal to her. I think, maybe, she understands the whole incident much the same way as if her mother rolled over or sat on her.

I think that the only real difference is in magnitude. Humans are much bigger than momma cats. Instead of being like, “Umph!” :paranoid: its more like, “WAAAA!!”:runaround:

Cats, we believe, see humans more like big, dumb cats that don’t understand things.

With that in mind, I think your cat doesn’t think much of the incident.

After a while, I bet your cat will hardly remember... except for the recurring nightmares of a giant butt careening toward her... ;) ;) ;)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been more worried if she was a real little bitty kitten.

Trust me, you would have gotten more than a meow if you had actually hurt her.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was injured she would show it, either by limping, not moving, and being lethargic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! Thank you all so much for your kind advice. It did help ease my mind. I did go and check on her two hours later, and she was perfectly fine. Here we are, three days later, and she is still acting fine. I’m so thankful. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It did help ease my mind. I did go and check on her two hours later, and she was perfectly fine. Here we are, three days later, and she is still acting fine.
All's well that ends well. :thumbsup: Thanks for the update and glad to hear she's fine.