Will rice help?

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you may know I have a new cat, 4 years old. Just got her a couple weeks ago from a rescue group. It took a couple days to get an answer from them of what the foster mom who had her for a year had been feeding. By then she already had diarrhea. They were feeding the garbage cheap Friskies food, wet and dry. I had bought her some grain free Nulo dry which she really likes, then when the diarrhea started got some Royal Canin Sensitive Stomach. Have to mix the dry foods together or she won’t eat the Sensitive Stomach at all. I had been trying some different wet foods and staying with chicken and turkey hoping to avoid stomach upset. I went and bought the Friskies wet... which she sort of eats and but she’s been liking the Nutro I was giving her. I stopped trying different foods. Now I know this cat was really stressed, full grown trying to get used to a new home. On top of that they took her to the vet for vaccines just before bringing her to us. I have been using Comfort Zone spray and she is definitely settling in and getting used to us. It’s only been about 2 weeks. The stool has gone from smelly and puddled to formed. She’s not as gassy any more and the stool doesn’t smell as bad any more. She was going a couple times a day and now only once a day. But I’m concerned there is a small amount of blood on the end of the stool for 2 days with just a little diarrhea on the very end. I’m wondering if adding a little boiled rice to her food might help. I’m only avoiding taking her to the vet because I know the stress along with the dietary change is what caused it and that frequently diarrhea can have small amounts of blood involved. I don’t want to stress her out again with another vet visit and I’m also afraid that i might not be able to get her into a carrier. Don’t want to undo the little bit of trust we’ve gained. Should I try just adding some rice or go to boiled chicken and rice....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not convinced that rice is ever appropriate for cats. Cats don't digest carbs very well so that's just bulk. Instead, have you tried adding pumpkin to her food? The pet food stores should have packets of pumpkin for digestive health. But if you need to go to a grocery store for it, just make sure it's only pumpkin puree with no sugar or spices. You don't want pumpkin pie filling.

Hopefully you'll find more helpful tips and advice in this article:
https://www.foodfurlife.com/my-cat-has-diarrhea---what-do-i-do.html#/

Diarrhea is dehydrating. If she goes back to liquid stools, take her to the vet. She'll likely need some fluids. You may also want to collect about a pea-sized stool sample and bring it to the vet to be get tested for parasites (the cheaper Fecal Float test) or a bacterial infection (a more expensive test called a Diarrhea PCR test.) I would hold off on the PCR test unless the liquid stools return.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not convinced that rice is ever appropriate for cats. Cats don't digest carbs very well so that's just bulk. Instead, have you tried adding pumpkin to her food? The pet food stores should have packets of pumpkin for digestive health. But if you need to go to a grocery store for it, just make sure it's only pumpkin puree with no sugar or spices. You don't want pumpkin pie filling.

Diarrhea is dehydrating. If she goes back to liquid stools, take her to the vet. She'll likely need some fluids. You may also want to collect about a pea-sized stool sample and bring it to the vet to be get tested for parasites (the cheaper Fecal Float test) or a bacterial infection (a more expensive test called a Diarrhea PCR test.) I would hold off on the PCR test unless the liquid stools return.
Wow, great article! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree on both points. I give my cats pumpkin and I use the Gerber pumpkin. I get it from Amazon using my subscribe and save. It's just pumpkin and water. The little tubs are much better than the pouches that the pet food manufacturers offer IMO. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BCN67TG/?tag=thecatsite

They tubs do not come with the little plastic lids but if you email Gerber they will send you some. They sent me some.