Will Revolution Cure Mange?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a youngish kitten (four to five months old) on one of our properties who definitely has mange. I dosed him with Revolution. He'll be going to get fixed in the next two weeks. Is Revolution effective against mange? My Google-Fu failed me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am intrigued - a neighbor of mine is trying to befriend a cat that has been hanging around, and it is pretty apparent it has mange. I have to read up on this so I can possibly offer her a treatment option - assuming she can get close enough to apply it.

Also, got to read up on when Ivermectin is and is not required as a follow up.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First they need to figure out what type of mange (a Vet does scrapings and looks in a microscope.) Then they have special shampoos for that. (Thank you reality tv shows about animal shelters!!!) Also one type of mange is very hard to get rid of, the other is (more) treatable. I would wash any clothing or skin that comes in contact with the infected cat before touching my own cats ..... to make sure my cats don’t get mange.
:goodluck:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demodectic mange is basically an autoimmune disease. Everybody has demodex mites on them and they can't be killed off but it only becomes a problem if there's something wrong with the immune system (that's why it's harder to get rid of; you aren't just killing mites; you have to address the immune issue too). Scabies/sarcoptic mites are fairly easy to get rid of.

Anyway, yes, Revolution and Advantage Multi will kill sarcoptic mange mites. Ivermectin is good too, and cheaper if you have a lot of animals to treat. Shampoos aren't really recommended anymore, as they're fairly toxic and the modern meds work better. But they may be recommended if the animal is easy to bathe and money is tight.

Humans can get scabies too so be careful!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Willowy for expanding my knowledge about mange :) which hopefully I will never, ever have to use on my pets. They probably used the shampoos at the animal shelters because they lacked funding.

I remember having nightmares about those mini creepy crawlies that live on our hair. *shivers* I’m just going to take a long hot shower and pretend that those stupid mites wash off!