Will neutering my cat help him like my kitten more?

Dandaleyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ten-month-old male cat ( Romeo) who is still intact, even with both my partner and I working from home and constantly playing with him he still seemed like he was missing something and needed more stimulation so I thought getting a kitten (Oscar) would make him happier. I introduced them fairly quickly due to both of their calm, sweet temperaments, and it was going very well at first. They were playing with each other like they always knew one another. The following day something changed my older cat started stalking Oscar who is 4 months old, and he is getting very scared. The stalking does not seem playful at all, but very aggressive almost like he sees the kitten as prey.

I've now had to separate them both because I'm scared for my kitten's safety. I've started scent swapping and using positive reinforming. but nothing seems to be working. The kitten wants to leave his room so bad, but my older cat is just way too aggressive as soon as he sees the kitten something in him changes. I've had many cats before, but I've never had a cat act like this. He even attacks me when I try to stop him from getting the kitten, and this is extremely out of character for him. I'm worried that I will have to rehome the kitten because my older cat will never accept him, and it breaks my heart because they both really are sweet and have so much energy and love to give.

I'm wondering if neutering my cats would make any difference in the way they interact? Romeo is booked in next week to be neutered but I'm scared that I'm doing this for nothing. I've been very hesitant with neutering him as he is an indoor cat with no desire to leave the house and doesn't spray. I'm wondering if neutering my cats would help them get along better or if anyone has any tips that would help bring them closer together.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's very normal for male cats to be too rough with kittens. You'll need to supervise their play until the kitten reaches the same size as Oscar.

Yes, neutering him will help. After a few weeks, the lowered testosterone will lower his agression and territorial behaviours. (Bonus: he will be super cuddly while on pain meds during recovery! This can help facilitate bonding with the kitten as he will be less scary). His energy levels may also lower a bit after neutering.

Is the 4 month old neutered? There's always a risk that either will start spraying if both are not neutered or one is, as there's now a territorial dispute. I recommend getting both done as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dandaleyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that information, it has made me feel a lot better about getting him neutered and hopefully still have a chance of being a happy family... That's the first time I'm hearing that males can be tough on kittens, but I guess I should have assumed. I will definitely only be letting them play while supervised, but at the moment I'm too scared to even let them interact without a barrier. Which is sad because they cry for each other through the door.

They are both unneutered but they both have vet appointments booked for next week. Romeo is getting fixed, and Oscar is in for his first check-up and shots. I will speak with the vet then about the best time to get him fixed. I will definitely be doing it as soon as possible though as I regret not getting Romeo done sooner now.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your lucky he hasnt began spraying yet i cant say if spaying him will help him like the kitten any better but sooner you get the spay done the less issues you will have once he begins spraying and trying to escape to find a mate

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that information, it has made me feel a lot better about getting him neutered and hopefully still have a chance of being a happy family... That's the first time I'm hearing that males can be tough on kittens, but I guess I should have assumed. I will definitely only be letting them play while supervised, but at the moment I'm too scared to even let them interact without a barrier. Which is sad because they cry for each other through the door.

They are both unneutered but they both have vet appointments booked for next week. Romeo is getting fixed, and Oscar is in for his first check-up and shots. I will speak with the vet then about the best time to get him fixed. I will definitely be doing it as soon as possible though as I regret not getting Romeo done sooner now.
One more reason. If one were to get out there is the possibility of mating.even in winter