Will My Roommate’s Dog’s Flea Collar Harm My Cat?

PawprintsOnMyHeart

Mom to Jasper (3yrs) & Jade (2yrs)
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat and my roommate’s mom’s dog has been staying with us for the past week. I began worrying about fleas, when I learned that the dog has a flea collar. When I looked this up, some of the search results said that some flea collars are toxic to cats and can result in death. So, naturally, I am now freaking out. I have no idea what kind of flea collar the dog has, but I’m very concerned. The dog has laid in my bed; do I need to wash everything the dog and her collar may have come into contact with??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PawprintsOnMyHeart

Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I’ve learned the collar is a Seresto flea collar.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I doubt that it is a problem, from what I know. As an example, a Seresto collar for smaller dogs can actually be used ON a cat. Unless the cat was physically laying on the dog/collar for long periods of time, I really don't think it is an issue. Tbh, most of these collars - whether for dogs or cats - are pretty ineffective at keeping fleas at bay anyway.

So, in my mind, the bigger question would be: are you treating your cats for fleas? If not, you might want to check for fleas around your house.

Just saw your most recent post. So, is the dog under 18 pounds? That is the small collar for Seresto, which the company claims can also be used on cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PawprintsOnMyHeart

Young Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I would think they would use the small collar on her, though I’m not certain; she is an elderly female miniature schnauzer. According to Google these are usually 12-18 pounds.

I treated my cat for fleas a month or two ago, but the dog leaves in 3 days and I’ll definitely re-assess the flea situation then to see if my cat needs further treatment/if the dog left fleas behind.

Otherwise, the two have not had any direct contact as my cat is very wary of her (I’m pretty sure this is the first dog he’s ever met) which I’m now thankful for. I was concerned that my cat might come into contact with anything toxic that was transferred to a surface like the comforter or couch, and felt like I needed to deep clean everything. Your response has helped calm my mind somewhat, thank you.