will my lynx point darken up?

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is there a way to tell if my kitten will stay the same color or if he will darken up a lot?  also, can anyone tell what else could be in his gene pool?  all I

know is that his mama was a feral.  just rescued him today.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

is there a way to tell if my kitten will stay the same color or if he will darken up a lot?  also, can anyone tell what else could be in his gene pool?  all I know is that his mama was a feral.  just rescued him today.
He seems to be black in his darkest places, so he is carrying black.  Yes, he will be more and more dark with growing age, he may become almost black as senior citizen.

He could be described as  Seal Lynx Point.    Ie black tabby point, to put it in plain english.

If you just rescued him today, and he is so nicely sitting in the hands of your children, he is super well behaving.  Has someone fostered him?   If not he cant be no feral, and probably, not his mom either...

His parents were black and tabby.  Perhaps one each of them.   It was not necessary for them to be points. It was enough they were carriers of the point gene.

That gene alone is quite weak, dont shows.  But doubled up, one from mom and one from dad, it becomes very strong in said individual, and tat individual becomes a point - often a look alike of a old type siamese.

But the siamese ancestry as such may be 50 generations back...   Such happens for example in the Russian Blue breed, where they had some blue siameses back in the 50- although they avoided to use known point carriers the latest 50 years...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you!  yes, he was just adopted today.  he was living with a rescue for a bit and they take in ferals.  he is a sweetie!  

I am a bit bummed though that he may turn black!  I really love the light coloring that he has.  we have a black cat that is my baby and was looking forward to a lighter kitty, but kitty is super sweet anyways!  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

thank you!  yes, he was just adopted today.  he was living with a rescue for a bit and they take in ferals.  he is a sweetie!  

I am a bit bummed though that he may turn black!  I really love the light coloring that he has.  we have a black cat that is my baby and was looking forward to a lighter kitty, but kitty is super sweet anyways!  
It will take years before he becomes darkish.   At that point you will be used to it, and continue to love him to pieces!    :)

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ahh I see!  as long as he doesn't become 100% black everywhere and I have a hard time telling the two apart! :)  I love black cats, but I want to be able to tell my kitties apart from a distance :)  his fur has a weird tufty type texture to it.  does that indicate anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

his fur has a weird tufty type texture to it.  does that indicate anything?
I dont know, honestly speaking.  I perhaps should know, but I dont know.

And nay, he will never become entirely black, however old he hopefully becomes.   :)

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, here's one for ya!  I think you're right on the coloring!  so I went to the rescues website, and there's a picture of the feral colony.  some are black and white, and others look just like wild lynx cats!!!  and they are brown with the stripey markings!  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he is a pretty boy! The markings he carries are so pretty. I imagine that if they darken with age, so much the better to see them!

He's lighter in the nose than my cat was at the same age, but if his body color is anything similar to Robins, it should darken quite a bit. By the way, Robins coloring darkened noticeably within six weeks after he was sprayed (4-5 months). I love the stripes on your kitty!! And love the picture of him eating, with your black cat playing with his tail. [emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji]

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you!!!  he is a fun little guy and he and my cat are getting along quite well now :)  

Apparently he didn't come from that feral colony I was talking about, he came from a differently colony in a different town.  so I won't know his genetics, which is fine.  he has light blue eyes, so he def has some siamese in him somewhere along the line.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our lynx point, who's about 2.5 years old has darkened considerably since when we adopted her at 10 months. She's still fairly creamy color, though, and her markings are beautiful. Your kitten looks very sweet in your children's laps! Have fun with him!