Will my kitten be okay between 2 homes?

Dadams97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I recently got our first kitten and she’s 3 months old. As soon as we got her, my husband got a job offer in Houston and we currently live in Dallas.

our situation as of now will be to live in Houston but come back to Dallas once a month for my job. Will my kitten be okay living in 2 houses? I know she’s young and I don’t want to stress her out, but we love her and want her to come with us and live happily in both places? What do y’all think?

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lot of moving. She will be settled in one place then move to another and back home. How long will you be in Dallas? If not long can you get a cat sitter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dadams97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be one week every month that we would be in Dallas. So she would have the familiarity of us and her same food and toys just once a month :/ i know it’s not ideal it’s just the situation we’re currently in and it’s stressing me out

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She may be upset the first time or two but she's young enough she'll get used to it quickly. She's more likely to be stressed by leaving her with strangers when you move from one place to the other.

One of my friends has been traveling back and forth between her home and her parents' home for years. She always takes her cats with her and they just make themselves at home wherever she is.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just do it - take her with you. She is young enough to learn, you will be keeping her inside (no doors and windows left open until she's settled) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cats seem to be far more adaptable than we give them credit for. One of my ex-fosters (not a young cat) always goes on vacation with his new owners - always to a different location, and they even let him roam outside and find his own way to the beach. (I do worry that when this cat dies, the owners will expect me to find a similar cat to replace him).

At weekends and holidays friends have always taken their cats away on a houseboat.

One patient at the local surgery picked up a stray (very sick, no hair on her body) and, since her recovery and up until her death, this cat was her constant companion. She sat in the car and communicated to the owner whenever she needed to relieve herself. When the owner needed short-term residential care, her doctor had to find a convalescent home willing to accept a cat! It was far away, but a long car journey was no proplem for this very grateful cat.

So take her with you - she is not stupid she'll soon accept the situation.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with other posters, especially given she’s so young. Both my cats are used to taking trips with me to see family in the suburbs, and they remember the place we stay at when we’re visiting. I’d advise harness training her, and getting her either a comfy crate, or a soft dog car seat you can easily attach the harness to. My younger cat absolutely adores cat rides and will spend most of the trip exploring the back of the car on a short lead, or looking out the windows.