Will my cat's sickness go away?

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I recently got a new cat from the shelter. When he first arrived he had eye discharge that I would constantly wipe to prevent discomfort. He had eye discharge for a few days and I noticed that his eye seemed smaller than the other. This morning when I woke up his eye was completely pink and was almost swollen shut. I did some research and I think he might have conjunctivitis. He has also been sneezing a lot lately and I noticed a little blood on his nose so I think he might also have an upper respiratory infection. Will it go away on its own or do I need to get him some medication? I have attached pictures of what it looks like to this thread!

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn't look so good. Take him to the vet. Having had conjunctivitis myself, it's nothing to be trifled with.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He should really see a vet! I'm not sure what his vaccination status is, but respiratory issues in cats can run the gamut from mild to potentially very serious.

There's a very solid likelihood that it's easily treatable, but it sounds like he does need to be seen by a professional to rule out anything nasty and give him access to any medication he needs.

Respiratory symptoms aside, often eye infections DO need antibiotics to get better!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He needs a vet now. Given that he has an eye condition which may or may not be conjunctivitis, sneezing, and blood in his nasal mucous, you can't handle this yourself.

Feelyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like he has feline herpes, hence the cold symptoms and eye running...common for shelter pets.