Will my cat stop loving me as much?

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have a 6 month old kitten. I’m thinking of adopting another. My current kitten is not extremely cuddly but she can love laying on my lap and cuddling against me at times.

If I adopt this new kitten (and if she accepts the new kitten), will she limit the already limited amount of cuddling that she is willing to do?

Thank you. :)

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, maybe not. No two cats are the same. I have a few super cuddly cats, and I have a few sometimes cuddly cats. Our one cat, Freya, was a bit standoff-ish for roughly four years. (She was a feral kitten when we found her. All our other cats were older.) When we found a sick kitten, Silas, two years ago, she completely changed. She slowly became affectionate and sweet, particularly towards my husband. She is so in love with Silas. Recently, we took in three kittens. Then a fourth. Freya loves them as well. She just seemed to keep getting more affectionate. Two weeks ago, she started climbing on my lap.

Just know that if you get a new kitten/cat, you will need to give them a bit of introduction time. Since your current one is still pretty young, it MAY not take as long as it might with an older cat. Then again, my kittens think my 7 1/2-year-old 20 lbs male is their momma and he was the first of the cats to accept them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A six month old is pretty close to always going to end up friends with another kitten and usually pretty quickly too, within a week for the most part. They will spend a lot of time rough housing. Your little bestie might have somewhat less time for you for a bit, but in general, if you count affection from other kitten and having fun watching them play, you can easily spend more time with the two then the one. For most people, fear of a chance in relationship with the current kitten isn't much of a reason not to get a second. However, if your bond is really important to you and you are going to be super upset if your bestie wants to spend less time with you for a few months, then yeah, thats a real issue.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should say that it is unlikely that she will love you less. She might change how affectionate she is.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie changed how much he hung out with my husband once we brought in two new girlfriends for him. Lily, avatar, is apparently much better looking than my husband and Jamie was smitten. It did not mean that he likes us less though. To be honest, I don't find pets having friends to occupy themselves with to be a bad thing.