Will My Cat Not Love Me Anymore After Vacation

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I am in vacation for 2 weeks with my best friend. I live with my bf and he stayed with my cat home. I am afraid my cat will be mad at me and that the relationship between us will never me the same once I come back. I love her so much and we have gotten pretty close. She definetely preferred me to my bf, always sleeping with me, playing with me, following me everywhere. But since I left apparently she has gotten way closer to him, closer maybe than to me and I am afraid of being left out once I come back. I am the one that has always took care of her and played with her so it would hurt if she does not want anything to do with me anymore. I miss her so much and think about her everyday. It sad to think that she does not miss me :(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't get mad when someone is away. She will remember you when you come back and quickly forget you were gone. And if she has now formed a better relationship with your bf, that is a great thing. Cats are more than capable of loving two people and showing them equal affection

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree!

I´m pretty sure your cat misses you, they do not forget that easily the bonds with their owners ;) I wouldn´t be worried about it. Once you come back, well, it depends on the personality of your cat and how she shows her feelings. If she´s too dignified, she will not talk to you the first days , but she´ll be back to her normal behaviour once she realizes everything is "back to normal".

Just think of how great is that your cat is being loved and cared for while you are away, instead of being distressed or alone :winkcat:

Enjoy your vacations!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answers. I am very very happy that she is loved and ok.
I guess I am just a bit afraid because when my bf left for 10 days she was very distant with him for many weeks after. Even months maybe. I guess I am afraid that I will lose her.
Is there anything I can do to show her once I am back how much I missed her? How long does it take your cat to be back to you?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My late cat Wesley used to give me the silent treatment for a few hours after I returned from an absence of more than a day. All of my attempts to give him affection and love were ignored - he would get up and walk away. When he'd gotten over his snit, he was sometimes more affectionate than usual and other times just behaved as normal. I guess what I'm saying is to give her as much affection as she will accept but don't feel put out if it takes her a few hours (between 3 and 8 in Wesley's case) to respond in kind.

I would be surprised if she gives you the cold shoulder for weeks as she did your boyfriend. That's actually rather unusual - it's far more likely that she will be clingy and loving because you are her number one person.

I once had a cat named Lucy who went to live with my daughter. Two years later, when I visited, Lucy not only recognized me, she wouldn't budge from my side. She was very happy with my daughter and her husband, probably even happier than when she lived with me, but that bond was still there. Your kitty will still feel a bond with you, don't worry.

If your kitty does seem distant, play with her - any game ranging from pulling a string around to waving a wand toy around helps cats connect with their humans. Take over feeding her and caring for her other needs again. Give her as much affection as she'll accept. The "worst" that may happen is that she's closer to your BF than she used to be, but I think it highly unlikely that she'll be closer to him than to you.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Raistlin will wellcome me with exagerated affection for some minutes and then deliberately "ignore" me for up to 3 days. He is weird, I admit it, this is not the most common behaviour. But I am his favourite person and nothing will change It, so don't worry about that, your bond will not be broken by a holliday

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She'll still love you when you get back! When I go away, sometimes for two weeks at a time, my kitties who are normally quite bonded to me pay extra attention to my husband. When I come home, it's like I never left. Go and have fun, your sweet kitty will be waiting for you when you get home. Give her extra snuggles and a treat and all will be forgotten. :)