Will My Cat Love Me Again?

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so hurt. I had to take my cat to get shots and he was super, duper affectionate, lovey and cuddly. and he got shots on Saturday morning. Ever since then he's sleeping in a hiding spot, he doesn't really get excited to be around me anymore? Can I gain his lovings back? I am literally heartbroken.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its normal. After shots they sometimes don't feel well for a few days. When cats don't feel well they tend to hide and sleep. If he is eating, drinking and using his litter box like normal i wouldn't worry to much. If he still doesn't act right in a week or so, or gets any worse, i would have the vet give him a check.

I love my husband :) but when i don't feel good i want him to stay away, and let me alone :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he still loves you just as much as ever and he'll soon be cuddling with you again. He is probably having a reaction to the shots and just isn't feeling well. The following quote from an article published by the Cornell Feline Health Center explains some of what he may be feeling:

"Mild reactions, including a slight fever, lethargy, decreased appetite, and localized swelling at the vaccination site may start within hours after vaccination and usually subside within a few days. If they do not subside within this time frame, call your veterinarian".

Have faith in the bond between the two of you. This won't be the last time he may go off for a period of alone time. Just keep an eye on him to make sure his symptoms don't worsen and let him be. The bond between the two of you won't be broken that easily. :catlove::catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think its normal. After shots they sometimes don't feel well for a few days. When cats don't feel well they tend to hide and sleep. If he is eating, drinking and using his litter box like normal i wouldn't worry to much. If he still doesn't act right in a week or so, or gets any worse, i would have the vet give him a check.

I love my husband :) but when i don't feel good i want him to stay away, and let me alone :)
Thanks! I definitely understand but he is just as active as ever; he bounced back really fast. he's just skiddish now and not vocal. it's like he is indifferent about me and he used to be obsessed with me :(
i am anxious person

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I definitely understand but he is just as active as ever; he bounced back really fast. he's just skiddish now and not vocal. it's like he is indifferent about me and he used to be obsessed with me :(
i am anxious person
He may still not feel quite himself, cats are good at trying to hide that they are sick.

And i don't know but its possible he is a bit mad at you? Our kids get mad at us sometimes when we make them do something they don't like. But as parents we must do it anyway. They get over it, and love us anyway. Some are just better at pouting and holding a grudge than others :) My husband gets mad at me, he can pout and not talk for several days, but he still loves me. I get mad and can last about 10 min, lol then i think of something i just HAVE to say, and my mad is over :) Give him time, dont worry, he will be himself again soon i think.

FlufficaMagnyffica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's definitely that he's upset with you - and he's every right to be!
Imagine it from his point of view. You trapped him in a container he didn't choose. You then carried him about in it so he bumped about in it. The smells around him changed so they were hard to make out. He was then attacked by horrific noises of machinery, and an earthquake shook him without stopping and there was nothing he could do but crouch and wait, quaking.
He was then surrounded by Strange Animals including Dogs and Strange Humans, all crowded together in a small space, and it stank of fear, sweat, fear again, anger, pain and confusion.
He was than pulled out of the container which by now had become comparatively safe compared to its surroundings. He was held on a cold table and a complete stranger Touched him without waiting for his Permission. He was poked and handled and a sharp pain happened.
Then he was in the container again .... another episode of The Great Machine Earthquake going on and on.
He was at last allowed out of the container but felt sick and headachey so wanted to be left alone for a bit.

You expect him to love you instantly just the same?
OK he will forgive you but he has his dignity. Respect it. Wait for him to decide when to let go of his understandable annoyance with you. After all he doesn;t know if you're about to do it again.
Try just talking to him in a soft voice. Don't approach him. Let him have his distance. Tell him he's beautiful over and over ... that you love him, especially his paws, his tail, his gorgeous eyes ... any complimentary nonsense.
Have a bag of treats and put a small item about a yard or so away from you. (Small mouthful of chicken, a prawn, whatever favourite 'extra' he likes) Talk to him about it. Tell him it's there - he can small it but it's the talk and attention he'll like. He may not go for it right away. If not accept your punishment and keep going. Some cats are Very Dignified.

Keep up the talk, and treats - not nonstop. Read, or watch a video and at intervals talk to him again.
Show him you're full of love and friendship and waiting till he's ready to reconnect.
When he does keep quiet - don't jump him with a passionate scoop up! Put your hand near him and let him choose how fast to rebuild.
When he's allowed your hand to be near him try moving it near, SLOWLY so he can move away if he wants.
Start with touching shoulders, back of head, top of head.
When he lets you do the real scratchy strokey stuff you'll be able to feel if he's really relaxed. If he's not, still tense alert wait longer before you pull him into cuddles.

It might not take all this much. But be ready to go through major penance routines. If he doesn't want as much, great. If he does you're prepared and will be calm about it.
Rest assured he will return. But he's not a slave or abused husband to let you put him through fear and terror, and let you use his body as a cuddle cushion. He's a real person with Dignity and Pride. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may still not feel quite himself, cats are good at trying to hide that they are sick.

And i don't know but its possible he is a bit mad at you? Our kids get mad at us sometimes when we make them do something they don't like. But as parents we must do it anyway. They get over it, and love us anyway. Some are just better at pouting and holding a grudge than others :) My husband gets mad at me, he can pout and not talk for several days, but he still loves me. I get mad and can last about 10 min, lol then i think of something i just HAVE to say, and my mad is over :) Give him time, dont worry, he will be himself again soon i think.
Thanks for your reassurance! He's so pensive and skiddish now and i'm spoiling him big time. hopefully he'll realize I had to do it! He gets neutered next Thursday and I hope it goes smoother

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just did that last week and she was so upset with me! I think she thought I was taking her away. When I think she was in foster homes, and two different shelters, she finally found a loving home- gets caught, stuffed in a box, rode inside a big machine, stabbed by strangers, and back home again? She was miffed. But, she’s fine after a couple days! He loves you!! :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reassurance! He's so pensive and skiddish now and i'm spoiling him big time. hopefully he'll realize I had to do it! He gets neutered next Thursday and I hope it goes smoother
Good that you are getting him neutered! That could be part of his problem right now, all those hormones running through his system. Male cats can be very temperamental :)