Will my 6 month old get on better with a new kitten her own age?

Cyborg_Catgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So I am planning on adopting another Maine Coon in order to have a friend of my current girl who is a little lonely.

My girl (Nessie) is 6 1/2 months old now and as mad as a hatter! She wants nothing more than to play with another cat! So I have found two kittens to adopt, one is 14 weeks old and the other is 6 1/2 months like Nessie.

I was wondering what age would be the best fit? Do you think Nessie would get on better with a kitten her own age or is it more likely to cause clashes? Or does it make no difference? Both of the prospective kittens are very playful apparently and are both boys.

I am kind of leaning towards the older kitten as if he and Nessie are the same age they might have similar energy levels and as such mesh better.

Do you have any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten the same age as Nessie would be the best fit because of the age and size issues. Kittens are generally accepting of other kittens, so either would probably work out well if there's something that appeals to you more with the younger one.

Aside from the cost, it seems to me that it's actually easier to care for two than one cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cyborg_Catgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am thinking the same as well. I mean the boy that's the same age is quite big for his age but still I think they would balance better then thowing a littler one into the mix.

I have two older cats (10 years old) along with Nessie but they basically live in different worlds and don't interact. Nessie is a maniac and needs constant attention that we can't always provide so we are hoping a new addition will give her someone to occupy her attention.

I attached a picture of Nessie and as well as the boy I am talking about. She is the tortie and he is the blue chonk.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try and match the genders. On average (individual cats obviously who knows) there can be a big size difference between male and female cats in general despite spay and neutering, and I think I read this is particularly true of Maine Coon cats? You'd probably know better than I there.

As correctly noted by V vince , either way is highly likely to work out just fine, friendship is pretty close to a guarranty with young kittens. But better a temporary size difference than a permanent one. Cats that end up a lot heavier or lighter do play with each other, but it not infrequently ends a bit early when the smaller one gets uncomfortable and runs away. I've got this now with an 11 pound male and 8 pound girl. They like each other and play, with the girl initiating her fair share, but at least 1/3 of the sessions she cuts them short because she is uncomfortable. A relatively minor issue to be sure, but a logical enough consideration when picking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cyborg_Catgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice regarding weight issues, but I am hoping it will be okay as before he passed she played perfectly fine with my Maiden Coon boy Baron who was 6.5kg She was even younger too at this point.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice regarding weight issues, but I am hoping it will be okay as before he passed she played perfectly fine with my Maiden Coon boy Baron who was 6.5kg She was even younger too at this point.
Well, its never a huge deal, but don't discount it either. Some older cats can play nicely with a much smaller cat/kitten. Most kittens and one year olds, however, are too over-eager. Perfectly fine to get the kitten you like best though!